2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got one and wanted to know from exp. what type of killing power it had before I wounded any animals. I got it mostly for predators and varmits but not sure if I need to target head/neck shots on coyotes and bobcats or if chest shot would do the trick. I've seen the posts about taking hogs with correct shot placement too but that's not the intent. I know it's a devistating caliber and I'd more than likely use the balistic tip bullets to varmit hunt with. I'm just looking for some experience talking. Also, what kind of distance are your longest kills?
thanks

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
Wait till they're walking away then conceal the shot! rotfl!

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
I have only killed two larger varmits with mine thus far, both on a trip to Virginia. The first was a ground hog (woodchuck) at 125yds, it was a between the eyes shot and it was end of story. The other was a red fox at 200yds plus or minus a few and it was a chest shot. At first I thought I had missed as the fox lit out like his tail was on fire, but after 50yrds or so he dropped. So from these two kills I concluded that the 17HMR does not have the knockdown power required for chest shots on larger varmits over 100yards. Both of these were shot using the Hornady 17gn V-Max (balistic tip) ammo. Everything else I have killed with it has been rabbits and squirrels and all head shots. My wife did shoot a squirrel in the chest with it and it was not a pretty sight, as it cut the squirrel in two pieces.

Hope this helps
Derek

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
I would stick to head shots on anything larger than a racoon or anything small you wanna eat.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
.17 hmr

My experience is:

Large hogs right behind the ear, in the ear, between the eyes, head shot and they drop right there.

I get much better accuracy with the hollow points. Not sure why. I tried the ballistic tips and they wander around the target. Granted that they do not wander far, but for long shots, and behind the ear shots, you do not want to be off much.

Another subject, I think red foxes are just too pretty an animal just to shoot. unless they are robbing your chicken coop, then a shotgun should work.

blue.dog

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
Brad's right...save meat and shoot them in the head.

But to answer your questions a friend of mine swears by his and takes coyotes and ***** out to 100 yards. If he's killed anything further than that he hasn't told me and if he had, I know he would have bragged. Nice cartridge, and if you remember it's a .17 caliber bullet in a .22 magnum case with those limitations you should have a blast with it.

TH

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Blue.dog said:
Another subject, I think red foxes are just too pretty an animal just to shoot. unless they are robbing your chicken coop, then a shotgun should work.

blue.dog
I agree the red fox is a beautiful anmial, but as I stated I was in Virginia and they currently have a bounty on them, other foxes and coyotes due to rabbies. I don't shoot anything just to shoot it, there is always a good reason!

Derek

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but a fox is a beautiful animal. I use to have a pair of them that lived in a thicket behind a tree stand. Every morning all season they'd both come out and bounce around for a while then vanish. It was fun watching them in the frost.

TH

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
bountyhunter said:
I agree the red fox is a beautiful anmial, but as I stated I was in Virginia and they currently have a bounty on them, other foxes and coyotes due to rabbies. I don't shoot anything just to shoot it, there is always a good reason!

Derek
No need to defend yourself. If you wanted to shoot a fox, and it was legal, cool. Now if you had said, you shot 10 red foxes, I could see your feeling like you needed to defend your actions. I, by choice, don't shoot bobcats anymore. But, I wouldn't say a danged thing to anyone on here who did. Fact is, If I ever, see a fox again, when I have my 22 mag with me, I'm gonna shoot it. I just can't bring myself to shoot one with anything larger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts