2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much competition today.
Strung 5 trout 17-20" chest deep on ill-defined bars, dodging heavy scattered seaweed on 51M's and spoons matched to water clarity (started gin clear 51M21, became trout cloudy 51MCHT, 28). Only 2 dinks, no spanish, jacks, sharks, skippies or blues. Started grinding at first light but bite was best between 9 and 11 AM on 51M's, with varied retrieves--several hits on 51's right on top. Lotsa bait in the area, but casts had to be based on weedless water pockets.
No topwater plug hits--unusual and a little disappointing.
I estimate at least 4 different schools in the nieghborhood based on sizes of fish and frequency of taps--lost 2 good haulers on poor hook set (hard to mess those up with a mirrolure!) after extended runs.
Since I always change baits after 2 trout, I like to thumb it with a very loose drag set, seaweed was really tough, and I rarely throw tails, I'm gonna guess that some of you five-star-finessers would have done much better than 5 trout in my shoes today.
Be safe.
OT: BTW every time I do this, I thank the powers-that-be that nothing blew up (except trout, and maybe the Galvez Causeway), no one shot at me (so far), I am not writing an after-action report from some Allah-forsaken AO east of here, and real true-hearts are standing between Us and Them. I will never forget it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Brine Jake, sounds like you had a good session this am. Much better than where I was. Enjoy 'em. Caught ladyfish to bluefish, a few, mostly schoolie trout, and suffered a massive mack attack Sat. am with a friend on topwaters and spoons as water greened up. Fished between access 6 and San Luis Pier. This am started out looking good but went south when the wind picked up. Water was decent early, but not as green as I'd like it. It settled mid-morning, but the bite never took off well for me before the blow. Could you tell me where along the coast Follett's Beach is? I have heard of it, but can't place it exactly and thanks. Hope we have many more opportunities this summer in the surf. Oh yea, watch that thumb when the big jacks move in, green tides n' black dots.

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a figure of speech; Follett's Island is the land mass between SLP and Freeport, including where you were fishing. There is a has-been development that used to be called Follett's Beach after the island's namesake; I think it is near the old boilers area.
I was also between Access 6 and the pier. Amazing we didn't get our lines crossed.
I would have welcomed a mack--I like 'em.
Thanks re drag; Yep--did the jack rip thing for this summer already. Kinda like the Fed rates--sometimes ya just hafta tighten. Can't wait till next year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts