2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Prehensile Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows that areas in Southwest Florida took terrible damage from Charley. If you go to Florida Sportsman http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=11 you can read about the devestation from the people that are living it, and the efforts of those trying to help. Please take a little time to visit the board and read for yourself what has/is happening over there and what needs to be down to help and who's making the effort to help. Folks on that board are giving of their time, money, and energy to provide relief to those that have lost so much and aren't receiving any Official Emergency Assistance help because of inability to go get it, or inaccessability.

There is a specific thread that CaptDick provided that goes strieght to the relief effort thread:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=242082 .

All money raised is going 100% towards relief for those that need it so badly. You can either make a donation through PayPal to the email address of one of the major players in the relief action:
[email protected] , or you can make a pledge of an amount and there are those that will cover your pledge out of their own pockets until your donation arrives via snailmail. The address to mail donations is -

Make the Check to
Sasses
3651 Evans Ave Suite 101
Fort Myers, FL 33901

239-278-5544

As I mentioned, there are those that will put up money right now to cover your pledge if you are using snailmail to send in a donation. Just post your information (real name as it apears on the check or money order), or send me a PM, and I'll post on their web site that an amount of money is coming and who is sending it. You have to be a member to post on their board. This way relief can get to those that need it immediatly. They are still finding people that have not seen any helping hands since the storm hit. Water, food, ice, gasoline, and bug spray is needed now.

I'm hoping that the good folks of Texas can help their fellow fishermen in the devestation know as SW FLA.
Any amount that you can spare will really help. Can you help make a difference for those that need it?

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
I gave to the Red Cross as soon as I saw how bad it really was. It only takes a few minutes. I hope everyone can pitch in a little somewhere. They need it bad...

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Additionally, since I am here in Florida, I hear the morning radio shows and such and there have been over 1k reports of gouging, false contractor bids and fake charities..

Again, I am not saying this is not legit.. It just might be, but the Red Cross is the way to go!

·
Prehensile Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The folks over at the Florida Sportsman site are very simmular to TTMB in that they are a 'Family'. The people are for real, the relief efforts are for real, and the need for the relief is for real. I'm not going to knock the Red Cross or any official agency, but some can get to Red Cross shelters because their cars are buried. Besides, it's good to have people helping people instead of depending on government to help. Visit the site and read the posts.

I hope you did make a donation with the Red Cross for the Charley victims, ReelWork.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Weutlers, thanks for the PM. I did go and check out the sites and seems legit, I am not an expert, nor do I claim to be but you can appreciate my concern as the scams are running rampant right now.. Again, no disrespect intended and I am sure you understand my concern as well.

Yes, I have made a donation(s) to the Red Cross and gone one step further. Since I am here at Macdill on a "deployment" I have been trying to organize a help/relief party from CentCom to go down to the area. I'd like to get a truckfull of supplies to give to the local Red Cross detachment and assist families that need assistance. We may be fighting a war on terror, but we in the military can still take care of our neighbors to the south.. In case you didn't know, Macdill is in Tampa. I am meeting with some resistance though, not that people don't want to help, more of upper management not wanting to sacrifice the bodies and give the wrong impression since we are the focal point for all operations overseas..

At any rate, I truly appreciate your reply and God bless all the families who just need to repair their homes. Godspeed to those who have lost loved ones and/or have nothing left to rebuild.... If you have some friends or family that need some assistance, I would be more than happy to come down on my weekends and help. I make a good "Manuel" laborer and will work for nothing more than a "Thank You." :D

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts