2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Been throwing the long rod at Reds for a couple of years, and now want to try my hand at tarpon. Does anyone have any insight on the differences in the way you fish for tarpon on the fly vs conventional tackle? Going to be in the Port A area this weekend. Any advice for finding them down there? I just read the texastarpon.net site and found it quite informative, well done! Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Are you going to be fishig off the jetties or from a boat? Larry Haines at the Fly Shop in South Padre / Port Isabel, does a lot of tarpon fishing from the jetties down there. You might try and contact him for some advice. Another good source of information would be Ray Chapa, at LeftyRay.com. I know he tries to spend some time each year chansing tarpon from the jetties.
Being far from an expert on the subject, I will list a few things I do know. As far as rigging, you will need a shock leader between your tippet and fly, somewhere in the 80# test range. I would also recommend an intermediate or a sinking tip line. Plenty of backing (30# test) on a reel with a good drag, and when the fish jumps, be sure to dip the rod to him. Make sure your hooks are good and sharp, with a good chisel type point as not to roll when you go to set the hook. Also, set the hook in short jerks, not one big long rear back set. I don't know which patterns to recommend, but be sure they are on a good strong hook. Aside from that, I can't tell you much more...other than good luck and let us know how you do.
Tight Lines, AC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts