2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Have you ever caught a flounder in the surf?

• Never

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • A few

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • Several

Votes: 10 17.2%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you guys have ever caught a flounder in the surf? I'm not talking the mouth of a river, or SLP. I mean actually in the surf itself. I'm 33 and have surf fished for as far back as I can remember, and I don't recall ever catching a flounder in the surf. Just wondering why they seem confined to bay systems.

Reactions: Rog

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have seen many ppl catch flounder out of the surf but i only caugth a few before if im fishign in the surf im not going for flounder

·
Registered
174 Posts
A long time ago

I caught 12 one day. We were bull red fishing and the water was clearer than my dad liked at the time. I could see them in the waves, grabbed a rodand started throwing. It was not too long after the 12 inch minimum was set, and not one kept. Since then I have caught very few, and seen only a few more.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I used to surf fish a lot before I got the offshore bug and have caught quite a few in the surf. The majority have been caught in September before it gets to cold to get in the water. All have been caught in the first gut before the second sand bar. I'll tell you what started getting me to target them....stepping on a bunch of them on the way out to the third bar. Have caught them at quintana beach and numerous more in the surf by SLP water tower. Hope this helps!

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Jeff,

That convict we went giggin with was a crack head. I can't believe you fell for that #^%$!!!

:biggrin:LMAO!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Most of the ones i have caught in the surf have been near structure.. Wading at the balinese and fishing the rock outcrops used to produce alot.. Most of the time i was not targeting them, so wasnt expecting it... There are alot near the peir pilings and rock outcrops.. Usually between first and second bar... That being said.. I do not think that i have ever caught one when there was no structure near... But i do suspect that they are always present

Thomas

·
Boatright custom flats
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dumbstick said:
Jeff,

That convict we went giggin with was a crack head. I can't believe you fell for that #^%$!!!

:biggrin:LMAO!! :biggrin:
Hey Dumbstick!
That "convict" was YOUR friend, not mine!

I was thinking the same thing when he said he gigged like 30 flounder in the surf.
My first thought was

But, it got me to wondering if I was the only one that had never caught a flounder in the surf. Thought I'd ask anyway just to get a topic started

OH.....and don't forget the
in the morning!

·
Income Magician
499 Posts
Nice... Had to bring up the forgotten beer again.. Some friend. That guy wasn't my friend. That was Kenny's cage rattlin, buttbumpin buddy.

I'm outta here. I'm going to pick-up my new allstar rod and buy two cases of beer so everybody can kiss my can.

(and mow the yard so the wife will let me go fishin tomorrow)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts