2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Boatright custom flats
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What effect does the full moon have on going flounder gigging? I thought about going tonight, but don't wanna go by myself and not sure about the full moon....

·
Boatright custom flats
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I tried it Saturday night. Didn't even see the first one, but I soon realized why. There was a couple of guys out there in a flounder boat that was working the same area. These guys had an awesome setup. The front of the boat had a rail with about 8 huge spotlights mounted on the front. It had a really nice rack on the back for the prop powered motor. The steering controls for it ran up to the front deck somehow. I wish my flatbottom was setup like that. This looked like one serious flounder gigging rig.

I watched them go by me on the opposite side of the bayou. They had the water out in front of them lit up like a football stadium, and I looked down at my crapppy little lantern and gave up.

·
Licensed Process Server and PI
381 Posts
Don't give up on the lanterns so quickly. Most of my favorite floundering spots can support the boats out deeper from the shore, while the walkers can get in shallower.

I'd say that I gig just as many flounder in water that the boats can't get through as they get outside of me.

Several Times, we've crossed paths and had the boat tell me they left fish behind them that they could not reach.

They need those powerful lights for the deeper water while the lantern is sufficient for the shallows to shin deep.

Just my experience and .02.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.