2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I grew up gigging flounder that was easy...walk till you found one and gig him.. but I just started back fishing after I retired..So far I am doing something or everything wrong! I have a boat and I have fished West bay, Texas city area, Bolivar, Seabrook (Toddsville bridge) and Sylvan..not Trinity this year.

I guess around Anahuac channel is my next place to try. I fish mostly during the week because its less crowded. When I use live bait, others are catching flounder on finger mullet. When I use finger mullet or shad ..they are catching them on live bait. I fish for them in shallow water mostly..less than 4 foot. I have caught some males..I guess all less than 14"...throw backs...

It's either bad luck or inexperience or both... Fished arty's (Plum an white tail touts plus others.) Use a Carolina rig on bottom. Slow drags, Jig motion..maybe it was just to early in the year and the time is just starting! I thought after the norther it would be good...but was blown off the water Friday at Texas city (the jetty's were probably worse)..I am sure I have missed some but I use small treble's and let them chew till they hook themselves most of the time..

I am sure we have some experts that catch their limits could offer some encouragement!
Where is the best place to put in over in the Anahuac end of Trinity?

·
Baitboy
276 Posts
Mr K, I'll show a spot Joel took me last year, maybe sometime this week if you need a fishin partner give me a shout, not going to Arkansas till 8th of nov and I'm on long change till friday...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that sounds like a good idea Mr B. I know you and Bill fished many a day for flounder when you worked together.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Ill try and help. I would lose the trebles first. Try a small straight shank hook baited with live shrimp. Carolina rigged.

I cant help you with fishing on the east side of the bay. I think youll just have to make the drive and head south. The flounder will be staging soon. Or if you are on the east side of the bay, Sabine may be worth the drive.

·
Premium Member
40,471 Posts
a little early for most action

it will soon pickup. I see or hear about some good ones being caught but not the run yet. Seabrook is a good area but it just like every other place is hit and miss. Just stick with it and you will tear them up.
Now, as far as catching, I prefer soft plastic's, I can cover more ground in my search for them. I will not turn away from some finger mullet and a #6 or 8 trebble hook.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gary & Bill, Gary you say South I normally fish in North West bay... Deer Island/Greens lake/Anderson reef (less chop) is that South enough? tell me what areas you like?

Bill, I have also used a #6 & 8 treble, #5 mustad curved shank hook...Plum/w, Chtse/w, and white glow touts and trout jigs are in my war plans..Use a slow retrieve across the bottom? Is that a plan? (maybe a trailer hook with a bait bite or shrimp tail?)

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
poppincork.

San Luis pass, Cold pass, Christmas bay, all on the south shoreline. :) Have you ever been to the extreem west end of Galveston Island?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a place at Terramar Beach when it first developed early 70's and fished Chocolate and San Luis Pass and the bay side there is where I gigged flounder every fall. Many laid up in that shallow water from Terramar to San luis pass bridge..Never went on the other side of the pass to Cold pass or Christmas bay...it was so shallow my tri hull boat back then I ran to deep..Even the pass changed every year..

·
Registered
400 Posts
would somebody please help me with my stupidity..... i am pretty new to the salt, and have figured out a few things, but keep seeing in these post, as in one of the ones above, about an artie called a "tout"... i can't figure this one out, i have looked in all bait areas at different stores and just can't seem to find it... please describe, so i quit feeling quite as stupid...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
fishing the Galveston bridge is a good place to start ,flounder likes to ambush its target fish or shrimp and high current under the bridge makes the smaller fish all confused and dazed . we are about to have a annual flounder run in Galveston bay , look for deep water next to shallow , shallow is used as a resting area . boat cut is a good spot . pelican bridge all the way to turning basin is another good area ,chocolate bay has the best flounder in size and quantify .

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Tout

whymel said:
would somebody please help me with my stupidity..... i am pretty new to the salt, and have figured out a few things, but keep seeing in these post, as in one of the ones above, about an artie called a "tout"... i can't figure this one out, i have looked in all bait areas at different stores and just can't seem to find it... please describe, so i quit feeling quite as stupid...
Today means any soft plastic shrimp like lure. Like a Norton sand eel or bass assassin or texas trout killer or similar.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Touts and tandems are the little double rigs that you see at Walmart in assorted sizes and tails.

We went Friday and got into a few. We were wading and kayaking into the back marshes with the water so low most of the regular places were above water.
Threw finger mullet and red/white paddletails. Flounder liked the red white better than finger mullet but I prefer plastics and did let the tandem fm rig sit more than I should have while throwing plastics. We did throw back all under 15+ as too small and ended up with 8 keepers but I was embarased as I lost 6 or 7 keepers at the boat. (Most I have ever lost on a trip compared to number kept.)

We were in water that was never 2 ft deep and closer to 12 inches but not much shallower. Ton of bait all in the area.

Did get a trophy ray but it was hard to wade with all the small/med rays back in the under a ft water. Becareful if you wade. I did not want to be the poster boy for the Rayguards people.

We tried glow/ch but it was the red/white in the sorry BA small with red metal flake that worked. I personally hate the ba's for being so soft that about every couple of bites you have to get another one out.

Luck this weekend.

·
Registered
663 Posts
flounder fishing is not tough, it just takes skill and patience (as the old saying goes). but i had alot of luck wading out in texas city. early in the morning or late evening and on a moving tide does the trick with a slow retreive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts