2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed down friday to enjoy the annual father/son fishing trip with my brother and father....

We arrived in Ft Lauderdale at 1pm friday and headed down to Islamorada with my dad, uncle, brother and cousin...... We arrived in the keys to nice temperatures to the mid 80's...

We headed to bed so we could get up early, needless to say that my uncle and his son didnt like to get up early... Around 7 am we made it to the boat... We were suprised to find out that our guide had a new boat from last year... He had a 2006 Whaler Outrage with twin 275 Verados... Sweeeeeeeeet Ride...

We loaded up and within 15 minutes were anchored chumming up yellowtails and mango's on the reef just south of marathon.... Kinda south of sombrero reef if anyone knows where that is...

Loaded the boat will big yellowtails.. Took along time since it seemed they werent very hungry.... We headed in about 3 to clean catch and clean up... I was so beat from working graveyards all last week that i went to bed and was up bright and early at 3 am ready for the next day..

Sunday we went about 37miles offshore in search of dolphin... Boy did we ever find them... First couple of birds we found working had a few schoolies under them.. Aprox 3 to 6lbs.. Picked 4 off each school... Headed out further to about 2000ft deep.... Putted around searching for birds for quite a while till we came across a pack of birds about 20 strong..... This was going to be the ticket i thought... We drifted by these birds using billybaits (4" in purple) and a 3" pink squid.. Hooked up immediately... These fish came to the boat and stayed right behind the motor.. This school was about 300 strong.. Was incredible to watch them.... Im used to seeing tons of chickens out of galveston, but these were averaging about 4 to 7lbs... Large for schoolies this time of year.... We tugged away at this school and ended up pulling 24 off of them.....

Ended the day with 47 total caught, kept about 25.... All nice and cleaned and vacuum packed for the freezer last year..

All in all a great weekend in the Keys..At 37 miles out, sea's were less than 1 ft... My brother didnt even get green lol

Weather was beautiful.... I will post pics tomorrow, once i get off this dreaded 16hr shift.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Can't wait to see pics...;0)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts