2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Borders, language, culture
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always something. So I'm doing a remodel on the house I grew up in. Built in 1961. Half of the floors were hardwood and the other half are vinyl sheet. The original vinyl flooring was covered with more linoleum in the late 70s. Fast forward to today. I have purchased vinyl plank and will be doing the entire house in it. I started to take up the flooring (wearing a good respirator) in the kitchen where my island will be. I thought it would be prudent to send a piece of the flooring off for testing. Well, it came back containing 10% Chrysotile, a form of asbestos. Does anyone know someone in the Angleton area to remove it? I have read where Chrysotile is not as dangerous as other forms of asbestos, but I don't want to chance anything. Covering it up with another floor really isn't an option because the flooring from the 70s is starting to turn loose in places.

·
Geeps
1,489 Posts
Use a full faced P100 Respirator, full Tyvek suit, rubber gloves. Remove PPE outside, throw the Tyvek and gloves away each day. Clean respirator in and out then replace cartridges each day. Remove clothing and wash immediately as well as shower promptly. DIY man

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
one thing I've learned about abatement, they always find more than the scope and it's high dollar. I deal with some companies but I don't have any to recommend.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,308 Posts
Use a full faced P100 Respirator, full Tyvek suit, rubber gloves. Remove PPE outside, throw the Tyvek and gloves away each day. Clean respirator in and out then replace cartridges each day. Remove clothing and wash immediately as well as shower promptly. DIY man

Yup... Also id use a sprayer and keep the floor damp as you are doing the work.

·
Native Texan
10,975 Posts
If you must remove it,, Use “Wet-It” and PPE and remove it yourself. The wet-it breaks down the adhesive and makes removal much easier and the fibers less “friable” (asbestos word for airborne particles).
Or you can leave it there and “encapsulate” it beneath the new floor. That is an acceptable practice.
No regulations on the abatement of residential materials......but if you hire an abatement company they will charge you to do all of the regulated procedures which equals $$$$

·
Registered
66 Posts
look into sealing off all other areas and doing it under negative air pressure, and wet as mentioned above. you should be able to rent a small negative air machine w/ HEPA filter and duct it out window. it's not only risk to person doing removal, but the particles can get throughout house and be issues for occupants in future. I am no expert in asbestos by any means but very familiar with neg air and similar. I have no idea how substantial that risk really is. search abatement, i think there used to be some good info on state type websites. also keep in mind what you might have to do if you sell and have to disclose.

·
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. My problem with leaving the old flooring is this. Part of my remodel was to knock out a wall and install a massive beam in the attic. That created one huge room (25' ish x 30') with one side hardwood floor and the other side two layers of vinyl flooring. I don't think the vinyl plank will lay flat where the old wall was. I could float over the hardwood maybe, but the old vinyl flooring is failing (lifting up) in some spots. The vinyl floor just need to go.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,212 Posts
look into sealing off all other areas and doing it under negative air pressure, and wet as mentioned above. you should be able to rent a small negative air machine w/ HEPA filter and duct it out window. it's not only risk to person doing removal, but the particles can get throughout house and be issues for occupants in future. I am no expert in asbestos by any means but very familiar with neg air and similar. I have no idea how substantial that risk really is. search abatement, i think there used to be some good info on state type websites. also keep in mind what you might have to do if you sell and have to disclose.
Look up Asbestos testing labs and give them a call. They will have you send in a small sample to test if it is friable or non-friable. If it non-friable it is relatively harmless but do your own research on that.

·
Do you know who I think I am???
5,212 Posts
Look up Asbestos testing labs and give them a call. They will have you send in a small sample to test if it is friable or non-friable. If it non-friable it is relatively harmless but do your own research on that.
Not sure why it replied to Hudsonc instead of Stewart...

·
Native Texan
10,975 Posts
Floor tile is non-friable, which means it is very difficult to make the fibers become airborne (this is the Cliff Notes of asbestos abatement). Airborne fibers are what makes asbestos dangerous. If you use wet-it and carefully scrape up the entire tiles, there are no fibers to breathe. Here is one article on Friable vs Non Friable asbestos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've managed asbestos abatement jobs for over 30 years. If you can use a knife scraper or similar to remove the tile, you should be able to do this yourself using the information already provided (p100 respirator, tyvek suit, wet methods, hepa vac, etc) The tile is not friable as was mentioned. Just don't use a method such as a sander or wire wheel brush. You can break the tile down and create inhalable fibers and cause contamination in other parts of your house. If you want to hire a contractor, I would use someone that has a Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) on staff. The CIH won't necessarily need to come to your house but, if they have one on staff, you can be more assured that they are legitimate. I would also make sure they provide you a receipt for the landfill they use. There are a lot of fly by night asbestos contractors out there.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
All very good replies above. All of my experience with ACT (asbestos composition tile. Easiest way to tell is it's 8x8 or 9x9 as opposed to 12x12 for VCT, generally) has been in commercial settings, where abatement or encapsulation was mandated. We would mostly encapsulate, but I see your reasoning behind wanting/needing to remove it. Having it gone will bode well when getting an inspection should you ever sell the house

I too would do it myself. As one abatement contractor told me, "you'd have to snort a pound of that in powder form to do any harm." But no reason to be unsafe; use PPE

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Don't vent outside cause if the people next door get wind of what you are doing the EPA could shut you down

·
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't vent outside cause if the people next door get wind of what you are doing the EPA could shut you down

I don't have neighbors. Well, at least within earshot. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you use a negative air machine designed for this it will have a HEPA filter in it that will catch the particles, along with pre-filters to catch large stuff. exhausted air would not be an issue. do some research on what to do with filters and such though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you use a negative air machine designed for this it will have a HEPA filter in it that will catch the particles, along with pre-filters to catch large stuff. exhausted air would not be an issue. do some research on what to do with filters and such though.
and you have to vent outside in order to create the negative air pressure within the space

·
Registered
829 Posts
The mastic glues used to glue these tiles has abestos also. Use floor machine with stones and simple green to remove wet then put in contractor bags. Are the vct tiles 9"x9" ?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The mastic glues used to glue these tiles has abestos also. Use floor machine with stones and simple green to remove wet then put in contractor bags. Are the vct tiles 9"x9" ?

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

No, this is vinyl sheet flooring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts