2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone talked to an adjustor yet regarding what's covered on beach houses?

My adjustor is not scheduled till late week.

From reading the policy it looks like flood insurance is almost worthless unless the flood gets into the elevated first floor of the building or you have a complete wipeout. Even then, it's going to be a nightmare getting any money from flood insurance.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
flood insurance is a government program and insurance companies provide the paper work , it has a low deductible unlike your home owner insurance . it covers thing inside the house, I think may be garage . I am not sure. I know it does not cover your grill in backyard unless it was in the garage. Ask the adjuster what it covers before you talk..lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
Super Dave said:
Anyone talked to an adjustor yet regarding what's covered on beach houses?

My adjustor is not scheduled till late week.

From reading the policy it looks like flood insurance is almost worthless unless the flood gets into the elevated first floor of the building or you have a complete wipeout. Even then, it's going to be a nightmare getting any money from flood insurance.
this is what to expect...had the adjuster out yesterday to both houses at surfside...very little coverage for flood.

·
Reel Easy
2,676 Posts
based on what the adjuster told my brother this weekend..his covers everything in the storage/garage but nothing that was out of it...so his fridge, grill and golf cart are all not covered

·
Master of Boats
1,434 Posts
I have collected on flood before. The thing to keep in mind is that it is primarily the STRUCTURE that it is insuring. It insures the only the items that are out of the known flood elevation. For instance, assume you are at 10' base elevation of your slab. As a part of the government offering guaranteed flood insurance, they set rules on how high above sea level you must build, and what kinds of things can be below that and be covered (very little as you have found). The government publishes for all areas it offered federal flood insurance a map of BFE ( base flood elevation) , that describes where the first horizontal structural member of the house MUST be built above. If you build below that, the county is not supposed to allow you to hook up power water or sewer to your house.

Where I am going with that is that FEMA ( who controls flood insurance) assumes that you will have nothing below the BFE that is part of the structure. If it is not parts of the stursture ( ie grills washer dryer etc) then a prudent homeowner will move it to high ground. If it is on high ground OR not supposed to be there, then they have no need to cover it. Basically the area under your house ( assuming thru all this it is built up high) should only be storage of stuff you can move or lose, because it isn't covered ( since it isn't permitted ).

They do pay pretty promptly though, after the adjuster shows up. NOTHING happens until then. I had a pretty complete loss, and even though it seems easy ( look no house ) they still measure and calculate everything. Pictures of what you had before are priceless. Get all you have, put it on one of those cheap USB drives and make a copy for you and the adjuster. Either give him the USB, or better yet, email it for record of what was given. Most of the adjusters are temporary contractors and will not be available 2 months from now, if you do end up needing help, you can prove wht you gave them.

Our motto - if it isn't 10 ft in the air, be OK with losing it! If you live in the flood area, it is fact of life.

Sorry for ya'lls loss by the way, it sucks to have so much mud and junk in places where there used to be only fun....

MM

·
Banned
12,705 Posts
mechanical and electrical at ground level should be covered if it services the elevated dwelling's living space... electrical panels, outlets, wiring, hvac, washer/drier, freezers... also covered are stairways connected to the building

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
super dave alot depends on when the house was built. prior to 1971 covers the walls downstairs ect.. if not flood covers no walls, does cover washer,dryer, fridg? electrical outlets and meter. also covers debris clean up which is directly under the perimeter of the house.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sorry couldnt find the link when I posted above, but here is a link to FIRM maps. It will give a history of your areas requirements below the legend and display the current regulations. This determines what is covered or not and should be reflected by how you are rated on your flood insurance declaration page. The link will show Jamaica Beach, but you can search for your own area

http://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MapSearchResult?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&userType=G&panelIDs=4812710001D&Type=pbp&nonprinted=&unmapped=

·
PETA & LIBS let Obama eat dogs.
4,471 Posts
NFIP

Go to Google and pull up the National Flood Insurance Program and then look at the policies-if for dwelling, the above folks are correct: a/c, heater, water heater, electrical connections, breaker box, w/d, freezer (not refrigerator) NOTHING THAT IS DRYWALLED OR IMPROVED AFTER 12/31/74 (I believe)-depends on flood rating and Pre-Firm date and Post-Firm date. All my downstairs rooms are NOT covered except for the outlets and plugs and wiring (I believe the wiring is covered)-no drywall or personal items at all, so if you were fixed up like I was, you lost all the stuff downstairs except a/c, heater, water heater, electrical, freezer, w/d and electrical connects-that's pretty much how it works and that's why it'll cost me $1000s to get back to where I was. Good luck and best to you.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Jamaica Cove said:
Go to Google and pull up the National Flood Insurance Program and then look at the policies-if for dwelling, the above folks are correct: a/c, heater, water heater, electrical connections, breaker box, w/d, freezer (not refrigerator) NOTHING THAT IS DRYWALLED OR IMPROVED AFTER 12/31/74 (I believe)-depends on flood rating and Pre-Firm date and Post-Firm date. All my downstairs rooms are NOT covered except for the outlets and plugs and wiring (I believe the wiring is covered)-no drywall or personal items at all, so if you were fixed up like I was, you lost all the stuff downstairs except a/c, heater, water heater, electrical, freezer, w/d and electrical connects-that's pretty much how it works and that's why it'll cost me $1000s to get back to where I was. Good luck and best to you.
You need to check FIRM for your area and your policy. For example, the link I gave above shows the current FIRM for Jamaica Beach. If you look at the lower porition of the legend you will see a history of the FIRM in this area. I copied it and blew it up so it can be read.

Basically it states the BFE were not established until June 24th, 1977 with changes 1983 and 2002. So this is where you need to look at your declaration page to determine which zone you are being rated in. In the second picture (also taken from the FIRM) you will see the different zones and their definitions.

So for example on my policy I am zoned as an "A" thus while flood insurance is required, the BFE was not determined at the time my home was built and therefore my entire bottom is covered.

Most of the new homes Post 1977, will be zoned AE which indicates your insured area is above the BFE.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Where does it explain the difference between wind driven storm surge and a regular rain induced rising water flood?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Super Dave said:
My rating is A15. What does that mean?
The way I understand the rating, you are covered for your lower level and you must have had a home that was built before the BFE was established. Does you policy say 1, 2, 3, floors etc? and does it list an enclosure?

·
Registered
421 Posts
My flood guy was out yesterday. MY house is on stilts, built 15 years ago and set at 17'1". My garage underneath took about 3' of water. He said everything in the garage with the exception of my motorcycles were covered. Everything. He said if I had tied down my wrought iron lawn furniture outside to the house it would be covered also. He gave me forms to list each and every item. We will see.

·
Team Deloitte
250 Posts
Well I just had my first meeting with our flood adjuster. It is amazing to me what some of the issues are. First, even though my slab is damaged they wont replace it unless I can prove its structural. Gee its only 30 inches thick and my drive way is less than a foot. My choice is to have the adjuster hire a structural engineer or I can, at my expense. SO I now have to hire an engineer to get my money. The rule is on a floating slab that I must show it is structural. My adjuster said he used to just pay, but they told him now it must be proven. Funny the policy language has not changed. Once I prove it then they will use ACV, so again my engineer will have to argue for the condition and useful life of a slab. My next piece of amazement is related to debris removal. I am told that my property is only defined as the part under the livable structure. Hmm, This is a brand new definition to me and never explained in the Flood policy. I knew this was going to be ridiculous, and it will be. Of course if you wait and paly the game, overtime the outrage on this BS will cause this all to get covered, but it will take a while.

Has anyone had a flood adjuster pay for debris removal not on their slab? Anyone have luck with their adjuster paying for their slab right off?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Bobby, it doesn't matter. Whether driven by wind or caused by heavy rain, rising water is ALWAYS considered flood damage.
Bobby said:
Where does it explain the difference between wind driven storm surge and a regular rain induced rising water flood?

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I'll find out Saturday. I'm expecting debris removal, electrical, fridge, and water softener.

Since that's what I'm expecting, I'll be luck to get half.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts