2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out of Galveston yesterday. First trip in a while that we didn't catch any *%#@ sharks. Got broke off several times and suspected them. Started loosing snappers to very violent strikes on the way up. A few Dolphins had been swimming around eating the occasional gut hooked throw back drifting on top. They started getting closer and closer. Then it seems one lost all respect for our rights to catch fish. Soon after we had a bit more proof maybe some sharks where lurking below.

Did end up with a decent days worth of snapper and kingfish.

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't count out those F-ing dolphins eating your fish on the way up. I just got back from Panama City a week ago. We were hooking snappers and groupers, but before we could get them 50 feet off the bottom dolphins were grabbing our fish in their mouths and hanging on to the fish until they pulled them off the hooks. The Capt. said they have got progressively worst (aggressive) over the years. It is because of the people running dolphin tours feeding them. They have no more fear of humans etc. I bet we lost ~10 groupers and many snappers because of them. One of these days they might find a M-80 in one of those snappers if they keep that **** up.:hairout:

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Probably 40 years ago now, ouch - that sure dates me, we had a lot of problems with over enthusiastic Flipper types chasing spanish right up into the splash on our old Glastron. They'd come head and flippers right up into the boat chasing those hooked mackerel. That was a long time before foolish tour operators started hand feeding these guys. I haven't had it happen in a long time though. I don't think the fear of humans angle carries much weight for a predator that comes screaming across the Gulf to surf our bow wakes. They've been doing that as long as we've been making bow wakes. Maybe you guys have rogue dolphin up north or maybe there's a forage shortage pushing this behavior. Whatever the reason it would sure starch my shorts to have Flipper steal snapper and then come up and laugh at me!

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
That sucks. Sling a few 8oz weights in their direction next time. They should get the message. Be sure not to hook them or you will need to respool.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
CAPSIZED said:
That sucks. Sling a few 8oz weights in their direction next time. They should get the message. Be sure not to hook them or you will need to respool.
Been there and done that, not a chance at all.

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
My buddy hooked flipper yesterday on 80lb tackle.. beats a marlin aerobatics show anyday.. that sucker was ******... **** good eating too... lol... just joking we got a clean release and I saw the circle in the corner of his mouth so not to worry...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Same thing happen to us in Panama City a couple weeks ago. Not sure how many we lost to flipper. One minute you think you have a decent fish then you think you have a monster then poof!!!! It's gone. Captain hollers down saying I just got flippered. That place it awesome to fish. We caught a wahoo not 10 miles offshore.

Bluewater Dawg said:
Don't count out those F-ing dolphins eating your fish on the way up. I just got back from Panama City a week ago. We were hooking snappers and groupers, but before we could get them 50 feet off the bottom dolphins were grabbing our fish in their mouths and hanging on to the fish until they pulled them off the hooks. The Capt. said they have got progressively worst (aggressive) over the years. It is because of the people running dolphin tours feeding them. They have no more fear of humans etc. I bet we lost ~10 groupers and many snappers because of them. One of these days they might find a M-80 in one of those snappers if they keep that **** up.:hairout:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
They put up a good fight for sure. We hooked a Stinos out of Kona 2 years ago. It hit a trolling lure on a 80W with 1500 yards of power pro. I've never seen any fish peel off so much line that fast. My wife was in the chair and the captian was backing down fast. Took 40 minutes to leader. I never thought flipper would eat a lure but the hook was perfectly in his jaw. Once we got the lure back and cut the line he swam off with the rest of his friends. My wife has never caught a marlin, but she said flipper put up a great fight. BTW I have a great video of this if I can figure out how to post it. And the lure was a Jet head with a pink and blue skirt.

Ono Loco said:
My buddy hooked flipper yesterday on 80lb tackle.. beats a marlin aerobatics show anyday.. that sucker was ******... **** good eating too... lol... just joking we got a clean release and I saw the circle in the corner of his mouth so not to worry...

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,234 Posts
freakin sharks everywhere out there(cause ifin there anit no snaps on the spots the sharks take over) when we do find good snappers up top with small slip weights then flipper shows up, fished a spot today shoulda been lots of snaps, catching sharks w/ live pinfish

·
Most Non Funny
1,833 Posts
Ono Loco said:
i didnt know anyone had successfully leadered a flipper

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
Bluewater Dawg said:
they have just as much right to the fish as we do - maybe more. you're on their turf. when they come to your house and start taking food out of your refridgerator, then you can get mad.

just face it, you're being outsmarted by a dolphin. :biggrin:

by the way, great photos, freespool. that "oh well" look on your face says everything.

·
Get Bent
1,270 Posts
Yeah ONO we should have keep that dude would have loved to the the game wardens face at the ramp!! No really he is happily swiming around showin off his new face jewlery...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think we need to have a filet and release tournament. They need to learn fear and respect for something I have already hooked and claimed as my own.Quote: "they have just as much right to the fish as we do - maybe more. you're on their turf. when they come to your house and start taking food out of your refridgerator, then you can get mad."

I don't get mad I get even. :biggrin: That's when I will introduce them to Mr.Smith and Mr.Wesson!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I was on a charter once where the Captain would sling 5oz. weights at them. He could hit one from 50ft with extreme accuracy! They would actually leave for 2-3 minutes, long enough for us to reel in our snaps!

Note: I am not implying that anyone should use this technique. This is just FYI..........

·
Registered
453 Posts
We had a whole herd of them on Sunday at our first stop. They never stole our fish but they didn't let to many undersized Snapper make it back down either. I think they home in on non-moving boats knowing they are fixing to get some free groceries.

·
Gig Em! '94
1,388 Posts
My bro-in-law hooked one on Saturday out of Freeport on my boat when it ate a snapper and got the circle hook in its beak right in the middle. He was actually able to reel it in, must have hit a nerve and the dolphin didn't want to fight much. He handed me the rod and I told him, "Get the gaff!" He laughed and then I took a wrap around the reel and broke him off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
How much would it cost to have one flippin flipper mounted? I could turn it into a fountain in my front yard spewing water on some palm trees or pink flamingos!!! I don't want concrete or bronze nuthin but the real thing with a snappper hanging out his mouth!!! Maybe a harpoon wrapped around his head i.e. Steve Martin!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
166 Posts
i was fishing on the okaloosa pier in fort walton beach, florida and some dolphins kept on biting our kings in half and one guy got spooled, he was so ****** he hooked up on a little smack and let the dolphin follow it all the way up to the bottom of the pier and threw a good size wieght at it and nailed in in the head and that dolphin jetted out of the water and didnt stop jumping for about 50 yards adn that was the last of him then 2 hrs later he brought some buddies with him and that was it for fishing for the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts