2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just warning u guys that wade fish as much as I do. 2 guys this week so far up and down the Texas Coast have gotten this bacteria, one they say will probably pass because of it. I was curious about it so I looked up the symptoms on the web. 1. acquired through a cut, when infected with the bacteria the cut will look to become highly infected, swollen, Red, Puffy very soon. 2. Flu like symptoms. 3. Fever 4.Nausea.
Those are the early symptoms, but they go on with the later symptoms. They say as soon as you see the cut being infected suddeny get it taken care of immediately. Usually the ones that suffer severely, or die usually wait too long to do anything about it.
Theres no way I'm staying out of the water, but I just wanted to pass on to you all just incase any of you come into contact with this bacteria. Later Guys!!

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Tis the season!

Good reminder for all of us who wade to pay attention to any cuts, scratches, or scrapes. Once that stuff takes hold it moves fast.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Where were they fishing?
brazosdude said:
Just warning u guys that wade fish as much as I do. 2 guys this week so far up and down the Texas Coast have gotten this bacteria, one they say will probably pass because of it. I was curious about it so I looked up the symptoms on the web. 1. acquired through a cut, when infected with the bacteria the cut will look to become highly infected, swollen, Red, Puffy very soon. 2. Flu like symptoms. 3. Fever 4.Nausea.
Those are the early symptoms, but they go on with the later symptoms. They say as soon as you see the cut being infected suddeny get it taken care of immediately. Usually the ones that suffer severely, or die usually wait too long to do anything about it.
Theres no way I'm staying out of the water, but I just wanted to pass on to you all just incase any of you come into contact with this bacteria. Later Guys!!

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,411 Posts
I always have open wounds (cracks) on my hands. How do you avoid coming in contact with the bay water on your hands even if you don't wade fish? I always pour bleach or peroxide over them when I get home but not sure if that is sufficient.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Not sure where I read, maybe CDC, but I believe that every time you come out of the water or reach in and get water on your hands etc.... wipe down with the alchohol based hand cleaner.

May not prevent but does not hurt.

Now I will say that I do not wipe my body down when wade fishing in 4-5 feet of water. Almost impossible to do that. But I would not surf fish with cuts anyway.

Wonder if surf side of the gulf is safer than the bays?

Seems its always related to a lot of fresh water somewhere.

But also have read reports of someone 30 miles offshore getting it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did the article ever mention how long it takes before the infection is noticable? For example how many days after from getting out of the water should I keep an eye out for this?

·
For the Fish!!
4,045 Posts
Bleach

I keep a gallon bottle of half bleach, half water on the boat, and rinse any questionable areas off when I get back in the boat. I am always poking, slicing and scratching myself when fishing.

·
15,098 Posts
Keep Hydgogen peroxide on board and if you get the slightest ich or irratation, wipe it down and you should be OK.
There was a biologist that used to frequent this board and he said the bacteria does its best in salty water not brackish.
There was also a gy on here that got it at SLP and he said he never had a visible cut on his arm. It started iching and he scratched it of courrse and thats was all it took.
BUT........He had a liver problem if I remember correctly which compromised his immune system and that must have been the problem.
Keep some HP handy . The biologist said that stuff killed the bac. instantly.

·
15,098 Posts
Philip C said:
Did the article ever mention how long it takes before the infection is noticable? For example how many days after from getting out of the water should I keep an eye out for this?
IF you had it . It only take a few hours. In days you might be dead.
The dentist in POC that got it a couple of yrs back died after the weekedn fishing trip. But it was said he ignored the symptoms for a day.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Aunt cut her calf right above the ankle needing stitches when she arrived at the hospital and got stitched up the Doctor would not give her antibiotics even though she demanded them and he refused. The next morning redness and swelling had set in and it was extremely painful (this was 8 hrs after leaving the hospital) she went back to the hospital and the CDC Doctor they called in had her leg removed at the HIP! 81 years old and learning to walk with a prosthetic leg is tough.............make sure you get antibiotics if cut and in question of coming into contact with this bacteria, if the hospital Doctor won't prescribe them go to your family Doctor and get them, better safe then sorry! Make sure you tell the hospital while being treated for the wound that you have been in contact with Marsh water or saltwater and make a demand for Antibiotics IF TURNED DOWN MAKE SURE YOUR COMPLAINT GOES ON RECORD! By the way CDC recommends giving Antibiotics in most cases to be on the safe side. And my Aunt settled for a rather large sum of money from the hospital but nothing will replace your arms, legs or life..............demand Antibiotics!

·
Banned
798 Posts
I spent 2 weeks in UTMB Galveston in 1995 because of a fin-poke on my right middle finger...never got flu symtoms, just swelling and awful pain. The doctor said had I waited even a few hours more that I would have lost an arm if not died. I figured the fish must have left a small piece of fin in the wound and was poking at it with a needle trying to get it out...my finger swelled to the point where I actually thought it would burst. Luckily there was an orthopedic surgeon on staff who had a clue and eliminated other possibilities quickly via lab cultures. It took surgery and IV antibiotics to get past it...and a little morophine for the pain. Funny part is that I went into the ER on Thanksgiving morning and argued with them that I just needed an antibiotic shot...I said I needed to watch football and eat turkey...instead I got to put on a bad dress with no backside!!

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
please remember that "flesh-eating bacteria" is still a very rare infection, but it is caused by a very common bacteria (a strain of "strep") that you probably have in your throat and/or nose right now, and the condition usually only occurs in the elderly, the immunocompromised, and those with chronic health conditions whose bodies have difficulty producing the antibodies to fight off the bacteria. also, it's not the bacteria that eats the tissue, it is the toxins the bacteria produces.

·
15,098 Posts
mastercylinder said:
please remember that "flesh-eating bacteria" is still a very rare infection, but it is caused by a very common bacteria (a strain of "strep") that you probably have in your throat and/or nose right now, and the condition usually only occurs in the elderly, the immunocompromised, and those with chronic health conditions whose bodies have difficulty producing the antibodies to fight off the bacteria. also, it's not the bacteria that eats the tissue, it is the toxins the bacteria produces.
Good info..........thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys/Gals...if your wade fishing and ever start noticing the symptoms - even slight ones - make a nearest beeling to the nearest Emergency Room and insist that they consider giving you massive antibiotics - the IV kind. If it keeps getting worse by the hour - insist upon it.

Hey...by the time you know you've truely been infected - it's too late - it's going to get a piece of your hide. Better safe than sorry.

Piggy.

·
Banned
47 Posts
The skill level of M.D.'s and D.O.'s run from incompetent to highly skilled. Most patients assume "hey, he's got a Medical Degree - he must know what he is doing". WRONG.
If you fish on the Coast YOU should do your own homework on the best and current therapy for this nasty bacteria, carry that treatment plan with your fishing license.
Treat/clean/disinfection immediately. If you seek additional medical attention tell the doc what you want and provide him a copy of your written treatment plan. Be diplomatic, but, get him to agree to the treatment, up front, or go find another doctor. Not all docs know the proper treatment plan, some have died because the doc did not use the correct selection of antibiotic treatment - immediate injection followed by antibiotics by mouth for the correct number of days. Worth dying for? - an uninformed doc - I don't think so.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
does anybody know if there are sealice in the gulf i know they got em in the atlantic but not sure about here . stayed in surf 8hrs sat 1o sunday caught few trout 2 keepers some sharks redfish too small and lots ladyfish butanyways when got home iwas itching mostly where my shorts were got small bumps but not many kinda look like chigger bites they dont itch no more but was wondering about it when i saw this thread any insight on this would be apreciated.

·
Always imitated... never duplicated.
4,848 Posts
to answer Bubbatte's ?

I fish with Capt Arsola who has survived this bacteria, I believe it's called VIBRIO or that's the short name at least...

Before I go out with him I put liquid band-aid or that liquid skin on all cuts and nicks on my hands... JUST AS A PRECAUTION. I feel my life is way too valuable to mess with it even if it is a rare thing. It could happen to anyone.

He also carries peroxide and a whole assortment of antiseptics and such for cleaning any fresh cuts scrapes or whatever might occur while your out there...

It's a rule of thumb he follows and it is probably good for all of us to do.

Jode

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
??

deepsouth said:
The skill level of M.D.'s and D.O.'s run from incompetent to highly skilled. Most patients assume "hey, he's got a Medical Degree - he must know what he is doing". WRONG.
If you fish on the Coast YOU should do your own homework on the best and current therapy for this nasty bacteria, carry that treatment plan with your fishing license.
Treat/clean/disinfection immediately. If you seek additional medical attention tell the doc what you want and provide him a copy of your written treatment plan. Be diplomatic, but, get him to agree to the treatment, up front, or go find another doctor. Not all docs know the proper treatment plan, some have died because the doc did not use the correct selection of antibiotic treatment - immediate injection followed by antibiotics by mouth for the correct number of days. Worth dying for? - an uninformed doc - I don't think so.
What are the proper injections? What is the treatment plan u need.. Someone let me know so I'll have this info.. What are the 4 antibiotics??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts