2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Top Water Red
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecast is in the lower 20's for Thursday morning. We havent had a significant killing freeze since 1989, and history shows that they happen about every 15 years, so we are way overdue. What are yall's thoughts on the likelihood of a fishkill freeze and the effects on the fish population?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Good thing is that it's going to be pretty cold a few days before the big freeze and that will run most of the fish into deeper water before the big drop.

Be a different story if we where having a few nice clear warm days followed with a quick drop. Don't think as many fish will be caught in the shallows on this one. Wind apparently has lot to do with it too. Calmer the better for the fish, no idea what kind of wind is expected with the temp drop.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,981 Posts
Weren't the big freezes in 1983 and 1989 after we had a bunch of above average temperatures catching the fish way off guard for a drastic temperature change? It's supposed to be below 50 for the next few days, so hopefully the fish will find deeper water or it just won't get as cold as they think.

·
But, I live in Bayou Vista!
1,629 Posts
I think Arlon nailed it. The fish have had a long time to get orientated to the colder winter temperatures, and they will be close to where they need to be for a cold snap. With that said, if we get extended (a week) of really cold stuff, then we could seem some fish kill.

·
Banned
3,906 Posts
Weren't the big freezes in 1983 and 1989 after we had a bunch of above average temperatures catching the fish way off guard for a drastic temperature change? It's supposed to be below 50 for the next few days, so hopefully the fish will find deeper water or it just won't get as cold as they think.
I asked my dad about that and he said both times they were fishing in summer clothes up until the front hit. He said that in 1983 the temperatures stayed below freezing for a week or so. The front coming on friday won't be nearly as bad. If it does kill off a bunch of fish, we all will be doing a lot of tarpon fishing this summer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
fish kill?

One problem this year, is that the water is already so cold. It won't take it nearly as long to drop down to a critical level. By the way, does anyone know what that is for speckled trout. Also, does anyone know a web site for current water temps in Galv Bay that is actually working. Mine are all whacked out. Wind is supposed to blow really hard with this one!

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
One problem this year, is that the water is already so cold. It won't take it nearly as long to drop down to a critical level. By the way, does anyone know what that is for speckled trout. Also, does anyone know a web site for current water temps in Galv Bay that is actually working. Mine are all whacked out. Wind is supposed to blow really hard with this one!
Water temp yesterday was 45f.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
water temp 45 yesterday? i don't buy that. i am quessing it is about 50-55 in the bays. we might see tp&w closing some areas to fishing.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Here you go!

This site does the whole Texas coast. Just play around with it, it's full of info. PM me if you need to ask questions on how to get around. Water temp at galvaston pier is 58.3 degrees right now, water temp in freeport is 53 degrees right now.

http://lighthouse.tamucc.edu/pq/021

good luck

chuck

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I think they got a state law now, where tugboats can't use the ICW during
a big freeze. They used to stir up the bottom where the fish stayed
in 12 feet of water, mixing cold water with warm, and that killed many fish.

I still have pictures from 1989 of dead fish in the Land Cut. In Mansfield harbor, lots of pendajos showed up, and they snagged car trunks full of 8-pound trout. The trout were wandering around on the surface like mullet, easily snagged. We saved a few for the state hatchery, which showed up with a tanker truck. However, the trout couldn't be revived, even when put in warmer water. The biologist told me later it was like their "pilot light was turned off."

At any rate, there was warm weather before each of those brutal cold fronts in the 1980s. In 1983 Lake Livingston froze all the way across, at least where the Jungle was, because I was there, camping. Our jonboat cut the lake like an icebreaker. I think it was 12 degrees in Beaumont---it cracked everybody's water pipes.

·
Top Water Red
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys for all the good info. I was just checking out TPWD's site, and it has a section on Saltwater Freeze Event's, that states water body closures (NO FISHING) for certain areas if water temp's are expected to be below freezing for 3 days or more. Obvious deep water areas where the trout seek refuge from freezing temps. With any luck, I think we are safe from seeing those lasting temps this time around.

·
Registered
491 Posts
This site does the whole Texas coast. Just play around with it, it's full of info. PM me if you need to ask questions on how to get around. Water temp at galvaston pier is 58.3 degrees right now, water temp in freeport is 53 degrees right now.

http://lighthouse.tamucc.edu/pq/021

good luck

chuck
That is one of my sites. There is no current data from Eagle Point or anywhere else in the bay. Hasn't been for almost a week. Only data is from Galv beachfront. Water temp in bay can be a lot colder than beachfront water.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
They say this every year, and unless this Arctic Blast keeps temps in the 30's all day, "specially during the day" for a week it ain't going to happen. Water Temps are 54 degrees in Matagorda Bay, now if water temps were in the 44 degree range I'd say we would have something to worry about. By Sunday we will be in the clear unless a second blast backs this one up.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts