2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to venture into uncharted waters and need some advice from some of you married folks. My wife and I along with another couple will be heading down to POC in October. This will be my wife's first time to go to the coast. She used to fish with her dad when she was a kid, but has not shown any interest in going in the 7 years we've been together. She enjoys boat riding, and is excited about getting away for a couple of days, but is not overly excited about the fishing part.
Can anyone share their experiences with their significant others? I would love nothing more than to have her turn into a regular fishing partner. I will understand if she just doesn't enjoy the experience, but I am open to suggestions on how to make it as enjoyable as possible.
The more I type this the sillier it sounds, but I figure some of you guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.......Q

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Buy a portable canopy for shade, a nice cushioned lawn chair, ice chest full of her favorite drinks and snacks, a boombox, a cell phone, a battery operated tv, and plenty of beach towels. Drop her off on Sunday beach and go fishing until she calls you.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Dont put any emphasis on catching fish, just enjoy the time fishing together. Dont put any emphasis on specific species of fish if you are catching something just enjoy what you are catching. Dont criticize how she goes about doing anything (unless its unsafe) just encourage and complement on her willingness to try and make it as comfortable as possible for her. Overall try to make it as positive an experience as possible with no pressure. Just good old common sense I suppose. I would think it would be alot like trying to intrest a child in fishing. I dont think its silly in the least, getting your better half to be a part of what you enjoy can add alot of good memories and strengthen a relationship.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,052 Posts
Provide shade.

Make sure she catches something, it doesn't matter what, quantity will count over quality.

Leave late and come back early.

Make sure she has plenty to drink and eat.

Don't run the boat too hard (our idea of a good ride is not the same as hers, I promise).

Most important, make sure she has someplace to use the restroom. I think this is the single biggest thing that keeps our significant others from participating in outdoor activities.

Above all else, have fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife and I have been together for 7 years and never fished together until this year. Bought a weekend place in Corpus last fall and spent the winter and spring remodeling it. Now it's done, we have time to go fishing. Bought some gear at Academy, wrote in to several sites for advice, started practicing what we read, bought more stuff on E-bay, asked more questions, bought more stuff at Academy and Bob's and now she's turned into a fishing machine!!!! She likes pier fishing at Indian Point because she doesn't have to wade. She started out using Fishbites and now uses those and live shrimp to outfish me 2 to 1. The only help I give her is to occasionally get a hook out. Went to the pier last Saturday around 6 am and it started raining so people left. Not her, she said she was already wet and wasn't going in since no lighting was around. She started catching 2 sand trout at a time on a double drop. The first 3 hours, she caught and released or gave away 15 to 20 trout. Caught several croaker and pin fish. Sunday am a repeat of Saturday without the rain and she even caught a puffer which was really weird. Anyway, She is hooked...... Best fishing bud I've ever had..... I think it's great to laugh about her keeping score each time we fish. Sat was 26 - 11, Sun was 22 - 9. She beat me fair and square. Didn't keep anything, need to order more fishbites and she doesn't care about how much $$ I spend now on "our" equipment..... I guess the next best thing to fishing with her would be when I see a dad take his kid out and catch a "first" fish.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plan B

InfamousJ said:
Buy a portable canopy for shade, a nice cushioned lawn chair, ice chest full of her favorite drinks and snacks, a boombox, a cell phone, a battery operated tv, and plenty of beach towels. Drop her off on Sunday beach and go fishing until she calls you.
Infamous, that was me and my buddy's plan b from the start. This will be a first for his wife as well, but she seems a bit more excited about the trip. LOL

This will also be Gabri's first night away from our little one. I think that's stressing her a little as well.

BTW, where is the area called Sunday beach? I've heard it mentioned before, but have never known the location.

Thanks for the great info. Just stick to the number one rule for husbands. "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Later......Q

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Fun, Fun, Fun

My advice to you is this:

Make the fishing part fun, I cannot emphasize this enough. Catching fish is a big part of that fun. It doesn't have to be one of the "big three", gaftops and hardheads are fun to catch for beginners. Live bait helps out tremendously too. Being patient is also so very important. Remember, you have been doing this a long time so don't expect your significant other to know how to do everything perfect the first time. Get her involved with the aspects of boating. A lot of begineers are intimidated by boats and just untying a dock line can build confidence and make her feel like part of the team. Taking pictures of sunrises and sunsets, fish, birds etc. is also something people love to do on trips. Birdwatching and checking off the different species in the bird book is becoming very popular. in summary, don't force the fishing issue and make the whole experience fun and she will want to go again. A bad first impression of fishing will take a long time to heal.

Tight Lines,

Capt. Tim

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
live bait or dead bait - as long as you get her catching something, she should be happy. Get her a spincast or spinning reel to use so she can cast it herself. Be patient when she doesn't cast well in the beginning.

My ex-wife's idea of fishing was to tie a rope to a beltloop on my shorts and lay on her float catching a tan while I waded the surf on flat days. Glad you've got one that more willing to participate.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Margaritas

I'll get her started on a rita about sunrise. Should make things go a lot smoother. It worked in Cancun. We'll see if it works in Pass Cavallo.
I just hope she appreciates the benefits of a little "saltwater therapy".

I knew you guys would come through. Thanks a bunch for all the responses.

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
QBall said:
Infamous, that was me and my buddy's plan b from the start. This will be a first for his wife as well, but she seems a bit more excited about the trip. LOL

This will also be Gabri's first night away from our little one. I think that's stressing her a little as well.

BTW, where is the area called Sunday beach? I've heard it mentioned before, but have never known the location.

Thanks for the great info. Just stick to the number one rule for husbands. "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Later......Q
I figured that might be the best plan, or at least a backup plan. Sunday beach is the back of the J-Hook, down from the old coast guard station across from the cavallo pass. Calm waters inside the J-hook to beach up the boat and swim, etc. Walk across 1/4 miles or less to get to the surf and find shells, etc.

I hear you on the first night away from baby. We are in the same boat coming up in October and even though we haven't left yet we already miss her thinking about it. :)

I'll tell you about the one time I took my wife fishing, she was my girlfriend at the time, not even fiance. I took her into the back of a small slough to get away from any boats and had her fish on the bottom with live finger mullet caught in the cast net. I baited and casted for her and let her hold the rod. It was really peaceful, no boats buzzing by since we were "hidden", no stress, nothing. She caught a 23" redfish, a 21" trout, and a black drum. She really enjoyed it and we took some photos back at home but she doesn't really care to fish anymore. Didn't bother me. LOL

Attached is a picture for reference (POC at top center) and I added a 1 (small slough took wife) and 2 (to back of J-hook and left side is Sunday beach).

·
22 Posts
My wife of 7 years enjoys fishing when she goes but enjoys the water and boat more. From my point of view, the best way to make a great experience for her is to find the fish and hand the rod over (not that rod). Be more there for support early on and she'll know it all before you leave. Then you can hand her the rod.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I started taking my wife fishing in ponds when she was 15(we were dating then), I started train...uh teaching her early. Bream, catfish, etc, just something to keep her interested. Then when I was about 19 I found saltwater, and got hooked bigtime. We got married a couple of years later and spent a week for our honeymoon in Galveston fishing, then about every other weekend at the beach while we were in college. Then I'd fish and she'd lay in the sun, I didn't push it on her. A few years later I got a boat and took her down to SLP in the spring and we caught sheepshead for a couple of days that got her hooked. Now she'll still soak bait but she can also not just keep up but outfish me throwing lures. I can't wait til the kids get a little bigger and we can all fish. I've started surf fishing some again and she's showing and interest in that, and kayaks too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Don't forget the bucket and toilet paper, and if she's a reader tell her to bring a book and a clamp on umbrella if it's not to windy. Be prepared to be baiting her hook the whole time. My favorite fishing moment is when my girlfriend caught a 30+" red on her first trip out.

·
Ice tea and beans
4,589 Posts
if someone can give me some help, with posting it, I have a short video clip about taking your wife fishing with you, and it may help some of you folks out.......

·
Registered
182 Posts
I second that about a bucket, toilet paper, and an umbrella.

My wife actually likes to fish (prefers using live bait) but she hated POC. I think it was mostly that she wasn't impressed with the condo we stayed in and the lack of dining choices.

If you get into some fish, I don't doubt she'll enjoy it (at least for the day). If she enjoys boat riding and being on the water, she should have a good time as long as the weather is tolerable.

Where are you staying?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jramm said:
I second that about a bucket, toilet paper, and an umbrella.

My wife actually likes to fish (prefers using live bait) but she hated POC. I think it was mostly that she wasn't impressed with the condo we stayed in and the lack of dining choices.

If you get into some fish, I don't doubt she'll enjoy it (at least for the day). If she enjoys boat riding and being on the water, she should have a good time as long as the weather is tolerable.

Where are you staying?
The bucket and tp are staples in our boat. I think InfamousJ nailed it with his first reply.
Not positive about our accomodations yet. Thinking Pirate's Cove. Any suggestions on another place on the water with a boat slip where we can keep the boat in the water for a couple of days? Would like to keep it in the $125 to $175 per night. We're taking another couple (close friends). Staying on the water would be the most convenient as we may be making several short fishing trips over the course of our stay.

Thanks again for all of your help.......Q

·
www.centexpressurewashing .com
1,447 Posts
The bucket. Shade, and a book. My wife likes to read outdoor magazines while I fish. And then coach me , Do this, Do that, why are you doing that... it says here...... Gotta love her. But when I find fish she is up and attem. ready to get in the mix. Also gotta keep some Chocolate in the cooler.
Have you herd this line before? Where's the bucket, and that boat is too close. Might be 300 yds away but still too close for privacy. Awh .... big sigh....

Mike T

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pirates Cove is where we stayed as well. Some of those units are a little rougher that others. You may want to try and get Unit #1, I believe it has recently been remodeled and is pretty nice. I was supposed to stay there on my last trip, but the real estate agent bumped me for someone else (still not very happen about that, but you don't have a lot of choices down there.) I think you can check out that unit on pocrentals.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts