2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever fished on a boat with someone in a wheel chair. A wheel chair will fit on my boat nicely, but what I was wondering is how I would load it on my boat with the person (my uncle) in it with out incident. In the past we never took the wheel chair. We left it at the dock and we would pick him up and lower him in the boat, however the chair provides support and he is more comfortable sitting in his own chair. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that his fat butt weighs around 240 (ha-ha). I was thinking about some type of ramp that goes from the dock to the boat. Has anyone ever seen this type of thing? I just thought that yall might have some good ideas.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
brother hunting dog, there have been a couple hundred of us that either work as first mate or Captain for the POINT tourney each year, and I can assure you putting a chair in any boat is easily done.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Oh, Mont....how I wish ....

my insurance would approve a motorized medical wheelchair...then I could look around to see if there is anything in Miami similar to what you good folks do for the handicapped.

I'm going to email the beautiful photos to Doctor Rosen to see if he could try to put some pressure on so my insurance would approve it.

I know I wouldn't be able to be out for a long time....but just getting out on the water with my fishing rod and bait again would be such a thrill!

But I must tell you this....being able to read about the fishing experiences of the 2CoolFishing gang here is not the same as being out there but it sure is the next best thing!

If there was a Pulitzer Prize for Message Boards....
2CoolFishing would win hands down!

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
The last Pescador tounament we were in (POC) meet a guy who was chair bound and he had a winch mounted on his trailor right where the uprights would be for the trailor lights. His wife would back the boat down and pull the boat out with him in the boat. Instead of the lean to bench it was double capt chairs.

THe pesacador also had a full walk (roll) around deck with out the step ups or gunwales. Pretty cool guy as well.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Hey aunt Joyce, Those chairs cost as low as 2500 and as much as you can imagine. Why dont we start a fund to pay for one for you? I will put in $50 for it if we go that route or more? Mont, any opinions on a fund raiser type thread for something like this?

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
Hey Dog. My dad had a friend who had lost his legs. We would take out the back Ice chest and strap him in there. He REALLY enjoyed going as long as it wasnt ruff.
We didnt have any ramp or anything

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Mont what are the details on the POINT tourney, it seemed to be a really cool deal last year when you posted about it. I don't think my boat would be a good fit but maybe I could help out as a deckhand.
Rick

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
it's usually on the coldest windy day in March, lol. If you have a place for a chair, your boats big enough. If not, deckhands are always needed. I usually here from Brent in Feb about it and will post up when I know for sure. It should be the last weekend in March or thereabouts.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Please let me correct myself

Because I'm not as careful as I should be and proof my posts before submitting them...I replied to Mont's first post in this string starting out with ....

"
my insurance would approve a motorized medical wheelchair"

what I should have written was "would not approve..." that made it look as though my Doc was at fault. He's not. I just wish he would apply more pressure.

My apologies ...

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
Your first post sounded like your insurance would not approve it. So do you wish that they would approve it or do you wish that they would not.... I am confused..... Nothin new. If you want one and money is an issue, I will chip in for it.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
What I said first post was incorrect.

Argo said:
Your first post sounded like your insurance would not approve it. So do you wish that they would approve it or do you wish that they would not.... I am confused..... Nothin new. If you want one and money is an issue, I will chip in for it.
My insurance flat out refused. I believe it's because so many people have been trying to get their insurance companies to provide the "scooter" you see advertised all the time.

A motorized medical wheelchair is fitted to you and your condition.

Eventually I'll get loud enough that they'll have to pay attention to me. I sure didn't mean to make me a focus point. I just think that what Mont and his friends are doing for handicapped children. His response to hunting dog showed that it can be done.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Aunt Joyce, if you need one and the insurance won't approve it, I'll throw in $50 also.... Your post are always good, and if you were fishin I bet they would be better, and I would like to see that happen.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts