2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on fishing with a guide and what are your expectations? Do you expect to limit out? Learn an area? Learn a technique? Do you expect for the guide to return 1/2 the fee if you get skunked? Do you tip if the guide cleans your fish or is it expected for them to do that? HMMMM???!!!

Guides you can comment also. What do you expect from your clients?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
all u can really expect is to have a good time and go fishing.. if u catch any fish it is a bonus.. ninty percent of my fishing partnets are guides and you can quietly pay attention and learn years full of knowledge in just days.. dont be scared to ask questions. (just not ignorant ones). as for tipping and cleaning fish its a must. ive never had a guide that didnt clean the catch and on really good days it nice to tip them a little extra.. show them u had a good time and that you would like to fish with them again.. dont get angry if you dont catch any fish and they keep you money. its there job to to take you out and show you difrent ares and knowledge of fishing. they can not make the fish jump on your line. there is just days the fish wont eat

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
You need to discuss what you are expecting out of the trip with your guide before you book with him. If your wanting to learn area's discuss this, if your wanting to learn plastics, whatever it may be your wanting out of the trip be sure and discuss it. Get some references and call the people, if your a live bait person and you choose a guy that predominately wades and throws arties your probably not going to enjoy the trip. While tipping isn't required, its something nice to show appreciation to the guide if he worked his butt off for you. I never go with a guide expecting to limit out, I usually go with a guide to learn.....that is the benefit I get out of guided trips

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can definitely expect to have a great time if you pick the right one. Ask around and see who people have had positive experiences with. 90% of the time, you will catch a good amount of fish, however, there are those days when the fish just wont bite. DOnt be shy on asking questions. I like to use guides in the area that I regularly fish so i can use the info i learn on another day. I have been out with a guide and not caught but a few fish. That specific day, he felt that it was not fair to charge the entire amount, so gave us a discount. It just depends on the guide. Personally, i would rather go with a great guide and have a good time and catch a few fish rather than go with someone who acts like he does not want to be out there and limit out. Half of the fun is the experience, not necessarily hammering the fish. A good guide will make it fun whether you catch em or not.

P.S. Jim West is in my opinion, the best in the business in the Galveston area.

·
The POC Experience
2,553 Posts
I would tip a guide like you do wait staff, If they do a good job, work hard and give you a good trip then you give them a good tip. the definition of a good trip is up to you, but it shouldn't always be about the fish, that is a bonus and makes for fun, they are spending time, fuel, and wear and tear on their boat to take you out. Its easier to go the extra mile for someone when you know they will pay you well so think about that if you go on a repeat trip

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Those are questions you need to first ask yourself... then from that, find a guide that suits what you are looking to do. Then you both can hit the bar and chase some ****.
Exactly right, all guides are different and specialize in there own dept. Some guides are drifters, others are wade fisherman, some are both, but I'll promise you that he'll be stronger in one area than the other. You should not ever depend on a guide for limits of fish, remember he's a guide, not a god, but you should make sure it'll be educational . No guide will guarantee you limits, and remember this that the guide has to make money to. He goes to work just like you do, so when things don't go your way at work do you expect your full pay???? "of course you do ! He's got wear and tear on his boat, Gas, insurance on his boat, liability insurance, equipment and tackle, his time and valuable knowledge you can learn, Gas in his truck getting there, couple of hours of work before you get there, and after you leave with preparation for the trip, and cleaning up his boat and equipment afterwards, etc, etc, I could go on and on . Don't tip if you feal you were rooked, but most of them try there hardest for you, and to those whom worked there heart out for ya, lettem know, wether it be a bad fishing day or not !

·
Hardhead Master 1st Grade
170 Posts
I've only been able to go with a guide a few times... One time was a limit a fish in about 1 hour. I didn't learn much because we were done quick.

The best time I had was when we caught almost no fish. The guide had to dig deep; we hit a lot of different types of structure (depth/shell/mud etc..) I had a great time with guide and I learned a whole lot in that day. The guide really worked his butt off and we fished hard all day, there was no quit in him or myself. It was a trip that kinda turned into one like fishing with your best bud, we threw the whole book at em and they just laughed at us. This guide not only earned a nice tip but he earned my respect for his drive and knowledge.

Each trip was successful in its own way, just depends on how you look at it. My expectations are always easy. Any day spent fishing is better than work. One fish on my line is a success. Have a good attitude and roll with the punches!

C

·
RIP HRCH Daniels Sonny Slough 05.24.2016
1,571 Posts
Ive fished with some average guides and caught alot of fish, and Ive also fished with some excellent guides and been skunked or dang near skunked. I think alot of what your asking depends on what your personal expectations are. If you are wanting to go on a meat haul and the guide baits you up for a meat haul and everyone is on the same page, I might be a little dissapointed if I didnt catch some fish for the table. On the other hand, if you are after the trout of a lifetime, no matter how good the conditions appear to be and yesterdays reports were, you better ne ready to get skunked and like it. Most reputable guides are gonna try tp put you on fish and in doing so they will give up some of their honey holes. The exceptional guide will do the same but will tell you how to approach and leave the area without ruining the spot for the next guy wanting to catch some fish. Exceptional guides are a well of local knowlege on how to run certain areas in particualr bay systems without spoiling it for the other fisherman, and they will let you know when they see somone who is not doing it correctly. :texasflag

1 - 14 of 14 Posts