2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the best time to fish the midnight lump out of La? Also would it be better to go out of Venice or Grand Isle?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Jan. - Mar. is the time most people go. Both places has it's advantages and dis-advantges.

Grand Isle- No Foggy river to run down and a few miles futher
Venice-Smooth ride out of South West Pass and a bit closer to the Lump

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yeah, the reality is that the Lump has been dead the last two years with only some monster Mako and a Pelican or two caught. There are some other fantastic places in Lurasic Park though but a guide is the best way to find the tunasorasus.

Good Luck,
AGF

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Hoping to take my boat and a friend.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I can say the Lump is one of the greatest places to be from January - March or so for monster YFT. Once we get some giant fish rolling in at the dock it gets somewhat crowded on the Lump. There is plenty of room for all to fish usually. The biggest issue is with boats drifting off anchor tangling others up and inconsiderate people. I have been on the Lump with twenty-five other guys with no trouble and also on the Lump with two hardheads with stress to the max. The key is to work with the other Captains to get these fish onboard. Reel up if you are in the road, move and they will do the same for you. We run out of Venice as it is closer. Good luck!!

Captain Michael

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
In reference to what Captain Wilk wrote, I'd say the best time to hit the Lump is when NOBODY ELSE IS THERE! When it gets crowded, you not only have the problems he mentioned, but you have a harder time getting the fish all ganged up behind your boat. It used to be a great spot to commercially fish them on rod and reel, but that's been a good 8-10 years now. Once it got discovered by everybody with a CC and a GPS, you had to share the fish with 20 other boats. The fish go get chunks from 20 chum lines, instead of just parking behind your boat.

·
Say "when"
7,267 Posts
What he said.

I have tried a few times and never really connected. The current can be fierce and you need 600' of rode and a good danforth type anchor and 25 foot of chain (IMO chain does not need to be gorilla heavy but just long). Then you have to anchor in 300 ft among other boats. I bought a bushel basket of pogies and the current was strong. My chumming worked great for the capt. down-current of me. I saw them get two big yft. A lot of work for tuna compared to night time at a floater.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Had my good and bad days there. The lump has not been impressive the last few years. Just for the record the fishing is the best out of Venice. You have a lot of choices of areas to fish but you have to be prepared for the fog. There have been times we left in the clear morning but came back in dense fog and even had to change the pass in order to get in safe. Goes along with local knowledge and the reason to get a guide before trying it on your own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts