2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What's a Corky?
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a thread on another board and thought this was worth discussing. It's that time of year and in the crowded bays of Galveston I thought maybe we could stop a case of bay rage or two by stating the obvious. What would you guys throw out there as a rule of thumb?

I know it seems simple sitting in front of the computer, but when you see it happening, it's hard to resist. Fish under the birds are very fickle, if you drift right through them, they WILL go down, possibly never to be seen again. Stay on the edge, and if you don't have a trolling motor, don't make the rest of us pay for it. More than one boat can work a good group of birds, IF DONE RIGHT. But don't crowd someone. Don't mean to preach, just trying to remind everyone. Though, I really don't think most of the people reading this board would be the ones that would cause a problem.

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
Trolling Motor ! - Trolling Motor ! - Trolling Motor !

I have no problems working birds with anyone as long as they have a trolling motor and use it.
But if you dont have a trolling motor , do yourself and the rest of us a favor and get one .

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
not me but!!!???

Some people just blast into the birds and make a couple of casts.
They just scratch and run. I don't like it but that's what they do.

I have a few neighbors that do that and heard about it from someone else.
I think it make the birds and fish skittish.

I have a good t/m, it's just not my style.

·
I once killed two stones with one bird..
687 Posts
"Some people just blast into the birds and make a couple of casts.
They just scratch and run."
That's called the "Rambo" technique (as in "They Rambo'd those birds we were drifting towards"), and Mickey Eastman gets credit for it's inception.
As mentioned, USE YOUR TROLLING MOTOR!! If you are going to work birds without a TM by drifting through them, find a bunch of birds where there are no boats. If you're first, you can bust 'em by drifting. It's really inconsiderate to pull up on a couple of boats working a bunch with their TM's and drift through, putting the fish down. "I don't have a TM" is not an excuse.

·
I just love rod threads! No Spam baby
3,776 Posts
Buddy, I agree

I agree 100%. I got about a grand in my T/M: charger, batteries, and t/m.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
just cuzz you dont have a trolling motor does'nt mean you cant fish the birds. a guy like me who doesnt have one does just fine w/ out spooking the birds. you just have to plan it right. but it is alot better w/ one. it can be done w/ out pissin everybody off.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Y'all might not believe me or think i'm inconsiderate but i don't normally use a TM when fishing birds. And I never have any problems. Don't know if any of y'all were out in east bay yesterday (or the previous four weekends), but there were birds all over and I had no problem sticking with some groups 45 minutes to an hour at a time. As long as you idle up to them from about 200 yards and don't throw a wake over them you won't have a problem. Just approach them from the side, not straight on. Yesterday I fished three different groups and stayed on one for over an hour and a half. The birds and fish won't leave as long as your motor stays at the same RPM when approaching them. We even caught fish with the motor was running and I have a 200hp 2-stroke. Bottom line is just Be Smart. After saying all this I have to add that I never pull in on a group of birds if a boat is already on them. Atleast without a TM. If there's one group of birds working, chances are there's another and I'll find them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Before you go charging into someone else's birds, t/m or not look around - chances are there another pile working somewhere on the horizon. Whether deserved or not when the birds leave - the other guy blames you. Another fact to consider is that one boat trolling out in the middle attracts little attention, two together and the potlickers go wild! Still some days we all have to share and play nice.

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
Wasnt this the main reason to keep fritos and oreos on board. to DECOY birds and make slicks so you can go fishing while the potlickers throw and wonder why there is no fish all the while a lone frito bangs the side of the hull.\

Courtacy. I sure do miss it. Course I preach to the choir here... every body slows for a boat parked in a cut, nobody would think about running shore lines behind waders, no one person would run up on worked birds, your in a tournament, a guide with PAYing customers, fishing in duck hunter spreads, theres always an excuse for being inconsiderate. I am by no means a saint but, Do I intentionaly go out with malice on my mind, nope.

We could all way put up signs, run flags, make laws, regulations, boater cert., or we can take care of our own and set examples. N E body with a few dollars can be the capt of their own "ship". Most people just DONT know. I dont mind them, they will learn hopefully. It the ones who could care less I despise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts