2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you fish slicks at what distance do you decide to cut the motor off at? Do you troll up to it or do you motor on in and still catch?

I generally cut the motor about 25 to 30 yards away and drift in or troll in, but sometimes I wonder if I'm wasting time gettin to the slick. I guess my question is what is the most efficient and productive way to fish a slick?

I'm trying to fine tune some areas of my fishing skills!!!

Mike

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
We usually float the booms around a slick and then we can stay away from it. Oh, you mean fishy slicks? I can't help you there, me no has no bote! :biggrin:

·
The Republic of Texas
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ripleyb said:
We usually float the booms around a slick and then we can stay away from it. Oh, you mean fishy slicks? I can't help you there, me no has no bote! :biggrin:
Dang operators!! lol :wink:

Mike

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
I'll usually cut the main engine outside of casting distance and troll in. Fish a slick no different than you would a group of birds. Of course the best slicks are the ones you see materialize right in front of you, vs a slick that has been around for a while. Slicks move with the wind and of course the fish move as well.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
How can you tell the difference between a wind slick and a fish slick? I remember as a kid we would smell the watermelon and then fish the slick that was close by, but I haven't been able to find that in a long time.

·
Texas Aggie Fisherman
2,982 Posts
One thing I have always noticed is when the current is moving, it will dictate which direction the slick moves, not the wind even if they are going opposite directions.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,344 Posts
Soapeddler said:
How can you tell the difference between a wind slick and a fish slick? I remember as a kid we would smell the watermelon and then fish the slick that was close by, but I haven't been able to find that in a long time.
I've been seeing lots of slicks lately. Problem is finding out what's underneath them. I have never caught as many slimers on artificials as I have this year. What's up with that? Have slimers evolved into some kind of sophisticated predator all the sudden? LOL.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
I've learned that the smaller the slick the fresher the slick. I've also noticed on many occasion that while wading a shoreline I will notice slicks popping up close to the grassline. Many waders make this mistake. They wade along casting and never look back towards the bank. If slicks are popping off of a grassline you best get up there and check it out. You also need to know that Flounder will also slick. They produce a sweet smell also. So just cause it's slickin don't mean it's Trout everytime. A bottom presentation before leaving the slick may turn a Flounder or two.

In my book there two ways to fish birds and slicks...ease in slow from a ways off and if that ain't workin then run in hard right in the middle of em and shut down catch a couple and move to the next one. While in Sabine one day the reds were workin birds and if you eased in slow they'd sound and be gone. You had to run in hard and chunk fast and then move.

However the fifty cent peice sized slicks are the best ones.

Biggie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts