2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing a church tournament today out of Hugo Point but since it is terrible up there I decide to make the 100 mile trip to Sam's Beach and give it a try since the forecast was looking GOOD. Left home at 0325 only to get pulled over 5 miles from home, 60 in a 45. After a warning and some tap dancing I was back on my way. Made the 100 mile trip and pulled into Access Road 6 at 0510. Drove down towards 5 and picked a spot. Got out and wind was from the SW and the surf seemed a bit rough but it was dark and I couldnt really tell.

Got all my stuff on and headed in before daylight only to turn around and get out. Waves were crashing over my head and I could not see what the heck I was doing. Once it got light enough to see I headed in. Must have been 50 trucks between 5 and 6. Lots of folks. Tide seemed to be coming in and I caught two trout right off the bat in the first gut. Eased on out only to find it was to rough and I just couldnt handle it. Backed in and stayed in the first gut managing 5 trout by 0730 all under 20".

As Im getting beat to death by the surf I noticed my donut was acting funny when it yanked from the waves. I pulled it in to find every fisherman's nightmare. A gaping hole and an empty net! Since I was fishing a stringer tournament, and knowing the rest of the field was gonna strike out in Trinity, I was mortified. This really stung cause I know two of the fish were dead due to swallowing the bait. I never saw any of them again. I decided to use the stringer off my wade aid so I reached back to find it and it was gone. I guess the rough surf sucked it out and its gone forever, bummer since it was new and never strung a fish.

Well my only option was to either walk every fish in to the truck or go in for a little sewing repair. I went to the truck and sewed it up best I could with 30lb Flourocarbon. Managed two more fish, a 16" and a 20" before I decided I just couldnt take the beating anymore. I headed in and decided to go back across the pass and try the bay side since the wind was SW and not NW like forecasted.

Back across, park and head back into the bay side and Ill be dang if the wind aint out of the NW by the time I get in the water around 0900. Oh well, water looked good and I waded several hundred yards through what seemed to be a stingray minefield. I must have stirred two dozen away with my rod tip. They were everywhere. Finally get to some safer water and start fishing. Right off the bat I hang a nice 16"er. Put it in the repaired donut and keep on. I kept getting strikes from the same area so I stayed with it. 20 minutes later i managed my personal best this year(from Galveston System) a skinny 26" beauty which I new would put me in good for the tournament.( she ended up weighing 4.75 lbs) Not five casts later I nail a 25 1/2"er and she went back to fight another day. After that the water changed and it was dink city. I cleaned through my one and only pack of candy corn assassins like they were nuttin in the next hour and a half. Lots of misses and small fish. After I ran out of candy corn it was all over, nothing else seemed to work. Finally as Im heading back to the truck I get a bump on salt/pep chart so I stop and dig in. Finally started catching fish again and a dang jet ski runs within 40 yds of me. I could have casted and yanked one of them off. After that nothing. Made the long trechorous wade back to the truck, this time seeing twice as many dinner plate rays.

Had a great time fishing somewhat new waters and except for the donut incident and the jet ski it was a perfect day. All my fish were caught on candy corn assassins. In the surf the guys on either side of me using shrimp seemed to have a lot more action but more smaller fish.

Hope all the Dad's have a great Father's Day tomorrow, the surf when I went back through Galveston was FLAT and the bay was as well when I went over the Fred Hartman bridge.

My day only got better as I came home to a nice Father's Day present. A new 10" Ryobi Table Saw. Wow, dont get much better than this.

1. Four fish four the day, 26", 20", and 2 16"s

2. Fathers Day gift from the girls.

Attachments

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Happy Fathers day Zac.

Can I borrow that table saw? lol. Thanks for the report. Pretty good catch too bro. Way better trip than your last one.

Candycorn? Im curious. Dont remember that color. Is it like the candy? Brown and yellow?

Thanks.

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
That saw table could be put to use as a cleaning table in a pinch, huh? :)
Nice report.
Mike

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
nice machine!!! nice fish!!! YOu know, I need a table saw. you htink I could use it next week? j/k...... nice stuff there.....JJ

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Candy Corn Bass Assassins

Much to the shegrin of many ttmbers who think candy corn assassins due nothing but take up space in a tackle box I have been steadily using them for a few years now. They are one of my favs and I dont leave home without em. Work great at night under the lights and during the day. The 26" today was the biggest I have caught on one but they do work. Now before everyone runs and buys em all let me get to Academy and restock first! LOL I cant wait to use the saw, I got lots of stuff that needs cuttin! LOL

Zac

Attachments

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tournament

I took second, it was our Church tournament and I lost to the preacher. I guess if your gonna lose, its to the preacher. Bummer is all he caught was a foul hooked 15 lb shark in upper trinity but he barely beat me out. It was a stringer weight tourney no matter the fish. I didnt know that part, I thought we were comparing apples to apples but hey I had fun. Kinda cheesy in my book as Id take a 26" trout over a 15lb shark any day but its more about braggin rights anyway. I had fun and we all knew who won. LOL

Zac

Attachments

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
WTG Zac, nice fishy's, nice toy too... Boy did it get hot today when the wind died.. Whew, my sweat was sweatin'...

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats funny Darrell

I know exactly what you mean, kinda makes me skeered of what is to come in August. The saw was not a total suprise as I had some input into selection but its still nice to get something so nice. Im ready to put it to use as i seem to never be able to cut a straight line with a skill saw. Good thing also is it only weighs 107 lbs so its fairly portable. May put it to use here in a bit.

Z

1 - 10 of 10 Posts