2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing with Ambassaduer baitcasting reels all my life. I like very much their sturdiness, and the drag seems to be very smooth. The problem is that when fishing for trout, etc, in the surf, I have found that I have to clean the reel at least twice/day, or the spool relaease button does not work properly. Does anyone know if there is a way to prevent this besides more frequent cleaning ?
Also, I would be glad to hear about your reel of choice, and why you use it. I would consider changing brands/type of reel if an overwhelming majority recommend it.
Remember, I'm not talking about Shark reels, but reels for smaller fish.

·
Registered
374 Posts
problem with your reel

I never have that much trouble w/ my ambassador, having to clean it more than one a day when I am out in the field, I just rinse it off with freshwater when I get home and its good to go the next trip. sounds like you have a problem with your reel. PS I have 3 shimano corsairs (fished 4 years in salt water), and 2 ambassadors. I have only had to replace the worm gear and palls, on 3 of the reels. Jason

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you are putting grease around the spool release button that may be your problem. I normally only oil these parts and put a small amount of greese on my gears. Salt, Sand and greese don't mix.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like Cat'n Around said

Grease around the release parts will stiffen up and restrict the smoothness of the button. I use oil maybe Corrosion "X"
The only time I have had that problem is because I neglected to clean out all the old grease. And then re-oil.
Hope this helps
Bought a Penn 965 last year and it has done a good job so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
treat yourself to a curado SF! I have had mine for over a year and i fish saltwater at least once a week; it is just as smooth as the day i bought it. and its been dunked numerous times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts