2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late, Norton Tequila Sand Eels have proven best when coupled with 1/4-oz laser lock heads. Trout limits have been checked in over the past 3-days, we're still faced with the slow trip for other boats. Bottom structure is soft mud near deep-water access. Redfish action has been spotty at best. With an approaching front, fishing should get better Tuesday. Area lakes on Matagorda Island are holding reds tight to the grass, especially the windward shore. When scouting we're keying in on mud boils and off colored water. Chrome blue spooks fooled reds on the flats.

Heres a temporary link to the Youtube video.

When Joe Coogan the Brand Marketing Manager of Benelli USA called me and asked, "Would you like to host another Benelli On Assignment TV show at your lodge?" I was honored. It was only two-years ago that we hosted the last show. The who's who of national magazines teamed up with Benelli and Federal in Seadrift, Texas.

Writers from Peterson's Hunting Magazine, Wildfowl Magazine, American Hunter Magazine, and Field & Stream Magazine came together to duck hunt and quail hunt using the Benelli Vinci - 12 gauges, Benelli M-2 Field - 12 gauges & 20 gauges, and the Super Black Eagle II - 12 gauges. Federal supplied Black Cloud for all the duck hunts and Prairie Storm for the upland hunts.

Each morning we embarked from the lodge to our blinds using airboats. One blind had two-camera man, Joe Coogan, Federal and two-writers, while the other blind had the other two writers, Federal and Benelli. BFL TJ Christensen had the honor to be the guide on video; and I'm extremely proud how well he did putting the ducks in front of the camera. While sitting away from the blinds in airboats, BFL David McClelland and myself witnessed the duck hunt with binoculars. We will never forget the first retrieve of the morning, BFL TJ Christensen's lab Red made a 400-yard retrieve on a crippled widgeon. BFL Harold Dworaczyk had the honor to be the guide in the other blind, and did an exceptional job putting them on birds. Even though most of the writers get a chance to duck hunt, none of the writers had ever harvested a trophy bull sprig and red head. Joe Coogan stated after the hunt, "Chris I personally have never seen clouds of ducks this thick, we were covered up all morning with redheads and pintails, and a occasional flight of wigeon, what a hunt of lifetime." After each morning duck hunt, we changed clothes and headed upland to quail hunt with Federals Prairie Storm and Benelli shotguns.

Our local taxidermist better get ready, because he is about to be loaded up with trophy birds from the magazine writers, Federal and Benelli. I can't wait to see the TV show, and read articles from each magazine writer. As a lodge owner and guide, by far this assignment has been the highlight of my career.

www.BayFlatsLodge.com

Attachments

·
Registered
6,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you elected to fish, you made the best choice today

Fishing was off the charts for BFL TJ Christensen with the Paul H. group. Tequila gold sand eels slowly crawled over the bottom floor accounted for easy catching. The young boys in this photo were able to use lures and catch trout. The wind was light out of the southeast.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts