2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took 2 of my 3 boys fishing yesterday with a neighbor and one of his son's down to SLP yesterday. We didn't leave Cypress until 7 am but after my trip to Matagorda on Friday (which is a whole other story) I was exhausted and my neighbor just wanted to get his boy on the water so timing wasn't critical. We stopped at the bridge first to try our luck there and didn't catch anything so we decided to go to the surf. Ran down the surf a ways and stopped to drift for a while and my neighbors son Alex caught his first Spanish Mackerel. I thought we might catch some more there but nada. We then decided to head to the rig a couple of miles off the beach between SLP and Freeport. When we got there a fellow 2cooler (makaira1) was there in his kayak. We eased up to the rig and the boys were amazed at the fish and water clarity. We drifted for awhile and picked up 2 more spanish macks - one for each of my sons. The bite was pretty dead. Thats all we caught. It was so calm we ended up being outnumbered by kayakers at the first rig!! We gave the spanish mackeral to makaira1 and headed back to the pass. Tried at the bridge but nada and boys were very hot. We ran back to the sand bar by bird island and let the boys play and then headed home. The first 3 pictures are this huge load that the boys couldn't wait to get out of the way so we could go fishing. This thing was huge and had 336 blocked for a little while.

Attachments

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Good going, dad! Cool report. :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Noticed that trailer rig empty last week parked down in Freeport. Was thinking I would hate to pay for a set of replacement tires! I went out of SLP last week and caught nothing but small sharks and a few macks, still fun especially for the kids.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
houstonbuffalo said:
That same rig was clogging things up on Friday mid-morning on my way back from the surf, anyone know what it is. It is absolutely gigantic!
Looks like part of a cracking furnace

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was good to meet you SpotsnDots... Your boys definitely looked like they were having a great time. I never got the ling to show again after I lost it at the boat but shortly after you left one of the other kayakers hooked a big fish that jumped not too far away from me. The splash made me turn around and it made a pretty big hole in the water. Don't know what it was ( tarpon, spinner shark or something of that size) . He fought it for thirty minutes or more and ended up a long way from the rig, too far away to see what it was or even if he landed or released the fish. Glad you had fun with the kids. Nothing better than hearing the excitement in their voice and seeing the ear to ear grin when they hook up!!

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makaira1 it was good meeting you as well.

Rookie06 I sent you some pics via email of that trip from hades!! I need to post that one up as well.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts