2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a fishing license is not required in fed water past 9 nm. After talking with a TPWD about this they told me if you are at the boat ramp and you have snapper "regardless of where they were caught " there must be a fishing license for every four snapper when they check the boat, advised it was a bag limit and a license will go with it or he will ticket me or any-one else who has snapper in thier boat at the ramp w/o a license. Been getting them for 35 yrs and will continue getting them ,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,637 Posts
why dont they go visit the head boats if that is the case? I would venture to say 80% of the people on the headboats dont have licenses. what a crock. I too have always had a license but it is still a crock.
 

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
Joined
·
10,211 Posts
crazy! they need too make up their minds????? i always buy a lic, because i fish off and inshore and so does my son and lady. check these?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Argo said:
why dont they go visit the head boats if that is the case? I would venture to say 80% of the people on the headboats dont have licenses. what a crock. I too have always had a license but it is still a crock.
Are you talking about one of these ! lol
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
We got boarded in POC Sunday afternoon by the Game Wardens. With the marlin, dolphin, and wahoo flags flying they decided to check us out.

Their first question was if we had any snapper. We said no. Only fish caught out in federal waters onboard (ie no license required). I guess thats why he asked about snapper before wanting to see a fishing license. Once we tied up to the fuel dock, his partner came back and wanted to look in the fish boxes to verify we had no snapper onboard. After he saw there was no snapper, he quietly moved on to another boat.
 

·
Most Non Funny
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
The burden of proof is on them, if they write you up a ticket for no license w/ some snapper in the box, just show up to court w/ your GPS showing all of your stop points and time, then ask them if they saw you catch any snapper whithin 9 miles while you were stopped.

They need to target the commercials
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
Exactly. They cannot fine you for not having a license. Maybe if you had reds and specks. But not snapper. That is just your typical A-hole GW. There seem to be more and more of these guys that are more worried about how many tickets they can issue rather than actually enforcing the law. I am not talking about all of them. Just the ones like those mentioned earlier.

They do not seem to have a play book. Just ask three different game wardens about planting millet for ducks and you will get three different answers. These guys have no leadership and no direction.

shanker said:
The burden of proof is on them, if they write you up a ticket for no license w/ some snapper in the box, just show up to court w/ your GPS showing all of your stop points and time, then ask them if they saw you catch any snapper whithin 9 miles while you were stopped.

They need to target the commercials
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
I agree with y'all, but - it is not worth having to go to court and prove it just to get out of the ticket. I'll buy the super combo like each year and get on with the fishing and no worries or hassles of tickets and courts.....
 

·
Back in da Saddle
Joined
·
10,159 Posts
Why not buy a licences and support the fishery and staff ??????


John
 

·
Salty Dawg
Joined
·
7,717 Posts
jtburf said:
Why not buy a licences and support the fishery and staff ??????

John
That's a god point John but its still harassment. I was checked by the Game warden last year and all he did was ask me where I caught my snapper. I told him that I caught them about 50 miles out and he no problem with that. He checked for a few different safety items and sent me on my way. He was a professional, friendly guy that was doing a great job. I do think that there is a problem with consistency thou because every experience that I've had with game wardens wasn't the same. When the Coast Guard checks you, you know what to expect. Those young men and women have been professional every time I've ever dealt with them.
 

·
Most Non Funny
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
jtburf said:
Why not buy a licences and support the fishery and staff ??????

John
great point, but I dont always have my license on me, I prefer to keep it in a bit safer spot, like the console of my truck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,044 Posts
jtburf said:
Why not buy a licences and support the fishery and staff ??????

John
Maybe I'm wrong about this.... but doesn't the revenue generated from licences go directly into the state general fund, and then is allocated to TP&W based on what our leaders THINK is the appropriate amount to give?

I've heard somewhere... that very little of the money actually goes directly back into the fisheries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Kyle 1974 said:
Maybe I'm wrong about this.... but doesn't the revenue generated from licences go directly into the state general fund, and then is allocated to TP&W based on what our leaders THINK is the appropriate amount to give?

I've heard somewhere... that very little of the money actually goes directly back into the fisheries.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife receives NO funds from the state general revenue - NADA, NOTHING. All of the fishing license money stays with TPWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
Fishing License!!!

In the last 10 years I have been boarded by the game warden probably 10 - 12 times coming in from offshore trips- not once have they even asked to see our fishing lincense and many of those times we had snapper in the box. When I asked if they needed to see the license, he said no, since we were coming in from offshore fishing and were outside 9 miles, (which we were asked where we fished when first approached), therewas no need to see our fishing license. I think this guy (game warden) is just trying to use a scare tactic and making sure you know who is incharge ( one of those egotistical personalities whether they are in uniform or not)!!! All the times we have been boarded the game wardens have been very professional!!! There are bad apples in every occupation, and I do not know if this guy is one of those or not, but he sure does sound like it!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,044 Posts
Coastalsunshine said:
The Texas Parks and Wildlife receives NO funds from the state general revenue - NADA, NOTHING. All of the fishing license money stays with TPWD.
http://www.tpl.org/tier3_cdl.cfm?content_item_id=11469&folder_id=706

That link shows 2002-2003 fiscal year funding for TP&W.....

the chart shows over 400 million being allocated to TP&W....now the question is, is that 400 million FROM license fees, or in addition to fees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
The legislature sents the budget, but does not give any money to TPWD. They have actually in the past raided the TPWD general fund and taken money away. TPWD is actually the only state agency that does not receive any funds from the legislature. It's meant to be self sufficient.

Moneys are received from license sales, from the TPWD Foundation, from matching moneys from the federal government, and from grants.

Maybe the confusion is in the term "general fund". TPWD has most of it's money in it's "general fund", but the money does not come from the legislature.
 

·
good looking single member
Joined
·
6,603 Posts
Coastalsunshine said:
The legislature sents the budget, but does not give any money to TPWD. They have actually in the past raided the TPWD general fund and taken money away. TPWD is actually the only state agency that does not receive any funds from the legislature. It's meant to be self sufficient.

Moneys are received from license sales, from the TPWD Foundation, from matching moneys from the federal government, and from grants.

Maybe the confusion is in the term "general fund". TPWD has most of it's money in it's "general fund", but the money does not come from the legislature.
The money from the saltwater stamp helps TPWD buy back Comercial Lic. for destruction. Now how many stamps do you want? The rest funds the hatchery, studdies and maybe reefs when available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WilliamH said:
Not trying to start ANOTHER potlicking thread but just curious, did they, head boat, "roll up" on you or what?
They pulled up , left us PLENTY of room , fished 10 min and headed off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After looking at the new regulations, I think this is what they are talking about , it was not a fishing issue, only a bag limit being landed in the state ?? The limits and restrictions in this guide apply to aquatic life caught in the public waters of Texas out to nine (9) nautical miles in the Gulf of Mexico, and also apply to aquatic life caught between 9 and 200 nautical miles in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and landed in this state.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top