2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing that as of 8/31/04 anytime you buy a fishing license it will be good for a full year from the day you bought it! If so its about time they finally quit making a guy buy one for a week or so and pay full price. My son had to buy one the other day!

In Arkansas its that way for hunting license too for residents..Good for a year from the day you buy it. You can actually hunt some for two seasons if you buy them late..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this on there web site. They are adding new combinations...A new Fresh water stamp like our saltwater extra! So Fresh water fishin license total $28, Saltwater $33, All water $38 (Expire 8/31) and a 365 day all water license $45 for residents only. May be purchased any time of the year, and used for a year!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Too true but it is usually hard for the young ones to come up with the $$ to buy the lifetime. LOL. Isn't that most always the way these things turn out?!

FC

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Just curious, here. At what age do you NOT need to buy a fishing license. Is it 62 or 65? Either way I'm close enough that it would be silly to get the lifetime license. Kinda funny though, I always meant to get that. Ahhh well, sleepy heads go by, eh? :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
they changed that. i think a senior citizen pays $12 now. it used to be free for seniors.

i bought my lifetime license about 5 or 6 years ago in the summer. then that september the fees were raised. i was glad i got mine early. at the time i bought mine i figured it'll pay for itself in 20 years, i would be 40. now i think the lifetime will pay for itself in 15 years and i will be 35 by then. its still a good deal if you are in your 40's.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Here's what I found:

First place I looked had this:

Lifetime Licenses:
Lifetime Resident Combination Hunting and Fishing: $1000;
Lifetime Resident Hunting: $600; Lifetime Resident Fishing: $600.
Residents may buy hunting and fishing licenses valid for the lifetime of the license holder. The lifetime license exempts the holder from state stamp endorsement requirements. The lifetime license does not exempt the holder from the Federal Duck Stamp requirement. Lifetime tags may be obtained at retailers each year at no fee. Applications for lifetime licenses may be obtained only from TPWD offices or by calling (800) 792-1112 (menu 4, option 1 or menu 5, option 2). Lifetime licenses are only available from the TPWD Austin Headquarters.

Second Place I looked had just this (no mention of the lifetime license):

New Fishing Regulations for 2004-2005 (effective 9/01/2004)

New License Options

A new $5 freshwater fishing stamp will be required to fish in fresh water starting September 1. This stamp confers statewide freshwater privileges; anglers will not need a separate trout stamp to fish for rainbow trout in winter. The stamp will generate funding for fish hatchery construction and repair and for stocking game fish, such as rainbow trout, in public waters. A similar endorsement to fish in salt water has been in place for several years. Anglers will have to specify their fishing preference: fresh water, salt water or both.

Temporary licenses will also change. The 3-day resident, 14-day resident, and 5-day non-resident licenses will be eliminated in favor of a 1-day temporary license with an option to buy additional daily privileges at the time of purchase.

New license packages and fees are as follows. Each option will include the appropriate stamps.

Texas Residents

Annual licenses (valid September 1, 2004 through August 31, 2005)

• Freshwater Fishing License $28
  • Saltwater Fishing License $33
  • All-water Fishing License $38
  • Special Resident Fishing License (at least 65 and born after September 1, 1930)
    • Freshwater $11
    • Saltwater $16
    • All-water $21
  • Freshwater Combination Hunting & Fishing $47
    • Seniors (65 and over) $15
  • Saltwater Combination $52
    • Seniors $20
  • All-water Combination $57
    • Seniors $25
  • Super Combo with all hunting/fishing stamps $64
    • Senior Super Combo $30
Other Resident Licenses

• Year-From-Purchase All-Water Fishing License valid for 365 days from the purchase date, $45
  • 1-day temporary license
    • Freshwater $11
    • Saltwater $16
    • All-water $21
    • Additional days $4 each
  • Summer's End license (for the months of July and August)
    • Freshwater $25
    • Saltwater $30
    • All-water $35
FC

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
For Walkin Jack

Dad asked the same question last year. How old do you need to be to get a free license??
The way Texas has it set up is kind of CHICKEN if you ask me. If you were born before Sept.1, 1930 you do knot need one. That means it isn't 62 or 65 like it should be. The more years go by the older you need to be. So if you were born on Sept. 2 1930 you NEVER will get a free one...ever. This includes Walkin Jack, myself and many others.
This is just another rule that could stand some tweaking. It's knot set up like many other states.
The way I see it is if you have gained senior citizen status you should fish for free. 62 years old period.

Bigwater

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your 75 years old you can finally get a free ride on license. Thats what I read. I guess next year it will say 9/2/1931...

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
Thanks Bigwater. The news wasn't good but I hold no grudge against the bearer. :D I agree with you 100%, too. I'm 60 now and I have bought a fishing license EVERY year since I was 16 or 17, when ever the state required it. Well, I did miss a few years during my military service but I think I have paid my dues. I believe that by the time I'm 65 I will have contributed signifigantly to states coffers...I'm sayin' I think I've paid my way and then some.

But the bottom line is, that I'll be fishing as long as I'm breathing and If I must pay then I'll gladly lay my money down. I can't think of anything better to spend it on anyway!

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
Bobby, the last time I checked you had to be over a certain % disabled to get the free license. Don't do me no good that I got a 0% disability.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My old man has gone back and forth with TPWD on this issue. He was born in Aug.1929. Everyone he asked they claim he needed a licence. I told him not to buy one, but I guess being out $ 15 bucks was better than getting fined. He should NOT have to pay squat! I needto get a life time licence now since I'm only 29. Thanks for the heads up on the changes!

Blu Crab

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been seriously considering buying the lifetime combo license for myself. Unfortunately I'll still have to pony up the cash for the Federal duck stamp and the APH permit (now up to $48) every year. Man, duck huntin' is gettin' expensive!:cry:

·
Registered
17,210 Posts
I am way over the 60% that they require

1 - 16 of 16 Posts