2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am making the long drive from Austin down to Aransas Pass this weekend is search of salt water treasure. Only my second trip down with my boat and I will have a couple of rookies who have never caught a redfish, so I am hoping to get them hooked up. I am going to try Estes cove, CA hole and Dagger Island, let me know if ya'll have any other recommendations.

I am hoping the wind lays down and the fishing picks up before this little cold front rolls in Sunday night. If you see a blue and white BayQuest, stop by and say hi.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SightCast - I plan un using both. I really want the wives to hook into some reds, so I am going to catch some finger mullet and piggies at Conn Brown Friday night. Me and my buddy will probably throw an assortment of plastics and mirrorlures unless our wives really start outcatching us. If we drift Estes, we will let the wives throw shrimp and we'll throw more artificials.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
try south bay. if you don't know the gut there, pm or email me

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Box, you should be able to find easy limits at the spots you mentioned. Drift until you find a large school of them. They will be schooled up pretty nicely. The bite SHOULD be somewhere in the middle of the day, but with reds you never know. Also, key in on the dirtier water on the flats. Schools of reds will hide out more comfortably in murky water. Unless this wind chills out, everything will be dirty. Once you locate a school, anchor and just wait. If you wait long enough in California hole, they will come to you. You are on the right track with piggies. If the girls are catching alot of grass on their piggies, tie a clear torpedo cork with about 18" of leader material down to your favorite hook. Tell them to reel it ever so slowly, their liable to get their arms jerked off. That technique works great drifting over the heavy grass of Estes. California or deeper, you could probably free-line. Let me know how you do, I am curious.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you're wading, try the East Flats, it has some great grass and sand pockets, it also is protected from the blowing south and southeast winds. It is also about time for the bull reds to head to the gulf!

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
South Bay, Bananna Cut, have all had boats onem early and through out th edday. Infact there so many you could have walked from boat to baot. But the reds are there. Today is the first morning Ive woke up to light winds. the whole week has beed real windy. Estes, CH, and Carbon Plant have been doing real well for trout, but you cull, 3 small to one keeper. Personally Ill be wading ST. Joe and the hump on Mud island , fishing the windward side of mud.
Take care and be safe,
Ill be in a 19 foot explorer, but with the boats out there I doubt youll pick me out. I cant wait till oct. nov.

·
Tabula Rasa
11,845 Posts
Hey fellow Austinite....
I try and fish a few times a year in AP and I've done good on reds in the Aransas channel on the opposite shoreline of the highway going towards Port A. About 1/2 down from Crab Man. I've fished in Florida the last 4 years on the West Coast and tides are real big over there for finding a good bite. I've used some of the same strategy on our coast and it seems to hold pretty true. Fish the last 2 hours of high tide and the first hour of the outgoing tide near a cut that runs off the channel and you should get hooked up on some reds. Mullet is always a good choice as well as cut lady fish (Skipjack.) If you catch a lady fish at any time, always keep it for cut bait. Reds love 'em.

Anyone else pay much attention to the tide charts? I can always learn new things.

Good Luck box...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the pointers guys, this weekend is shaping up to be a good looking time to fish. I will definately report on Monday, good or bad. Good luck to everyone else going this weekend!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts