2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been fishing in Aruba lately? My brother is headed down there with his in-laws and may try to get away and do some fishing. Any decent reports or charters recommended?

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was there about 5 years ago. All the fishing is done out of the main marina. They basically start fishing about 1 mile outside the harbor. They're mostly trolling ballyhoo with skirts. Went out twice.... 20 or so wahoo, 5 or 6 dorado, some barracuda, and a double hookup on Blue Marlin. Really good place to fish.

The wind picks up around 12.... every day. The water is usually pretty rough. If he's got his own rod/reels, he may want to take them. You have to check out the boat thoroughly. One of the boats I was on....... wasn't too sure we'd actually make it back.

Can't remember the name of the boat, but owner/captain of it also owns a resturaunt there on the island. Nice boat, great deckhand. That's the one I'd be on the next time.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i was there last summer and did some fishing, caught a nice Wahoo, however the water there is Rough, Rough, and Rough. The only go about 9 miles off but fish are there in the area. Non experienced fisherman that were with me got sick. they said the water is like that all year.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am a native from the area. Dorado "Dradu" period is from January to May. Wahoo "Mula" period is most of the summer. That means that most of the people now are fishing 1/4 to 1/2 mile out trolling ballyhoo. The area does have quite a bit of smaller Blue Marlin and they are caught 1 mile plus offshore.
Trade winds dominate through the year at approx 20mph - non stop. Makes for a cooler island but also makes for 4 to 6 ft seas year round.
Fishing is not bad there, no sharks tho.

·
Banned
798 Posts
I would not set foot on that rock after the Hollaway debacle and their incompetant non-effort in helping a family find their daughter!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts