2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, what a hoot!

We left Freeport at about 7:30am aboard the Dolphin Hunter, with Johnboat as a buddy boat, loaded for bear with high hopes of some great fishing on the high seas.....and the high seas didn't disappoint.

Rather than go into an exhaustive report, I'll provide a few pics from the trip and let Farmer Jim or Brew jump in here and give it the spin it deserves.

Enjoyed it guys! Jim, thanks again for the invite!

Rex

1. The highlight of the trip...a 40-45lb Wahoo taken by 14 yr. old Brew jr. while trolling between Sunrise and Tequila.

2. Johnboat and crew bowed up with what appears to be a nice AJ....unfortunately it never made it to the gaff.

3. Here's the exotic of the trip....the second time in as many trips the I've picked one of these up.

4. Team Johnboat trolling the waters off Tequila as the sun sets.

5. The cap-i-tan of the Dolphin Hunter, Farmer Jim himself, on the hunt for some Dorado at a weed line we ran into on the way in.

6. Johnboat and crew with two YELLOWFIN tuna picked up while trolling Tequila Friday morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hey Rex

Looks like you guys had a great time. That water looks flat enough even I could probably handled it. What do you call that beautiful fish you caught?

Later Larry
:ac550:

·
Registered
253 Posts
MOre pics

1. The psrt of the catch that we took with us
2. The tuna 3 BF's and 1 YF
3. The chicken dolphin
4. The rainbow runners
5.(top) Spanish mack (bottom) kingfish picked up at tall rock

The wahoo had to have his head and tail cut off and still just barley fit in the 120 quart cooler so I didn't take a pick because I knew Rex had taken one when I caught him.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
5,922 Posts
Great pics, guys. Rex, I really like that sunset shot of Johnboat trolling. Good job, buddy.
BrewJR, congrats on the hoo!
Mike

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Fantastic seas. Never got over 1-2 feet both days and there were several periods of glass slick water. Daytime fishing Thursday was pretty slow and all we really caught was six or seven Rainbow Runners. I hadn't caught one of these in years and had forgotten just how pretty they are. We could have probably filled the 190 qt chest with them if we wanted, but after boxing a few, we started fishing for AJ, Snapper and Grouper. Snapper bite was absolutely dead. We tried everything possible and couldn't even get a throwback.

Finally, I sent a pound and a half Blue Runner to the bottom on a Senator 6/0 with 100lb power pro and a 100lb mono leader. After about a half hour something started mouthing it and then just doubled up the rod. It was a good fish, heavy as heck, but I was able to move it up about thirty feet. Then it decided it wanted to go back to the bottom and I was darned near pulled over the side. I squatted down and braced the rod on the gunwale. This was without a doubt the strongest fish I have ever felt. I caught a 68 lb. Yellowfin this winter and it was nothing compared to what I had on. Then, after about 10 seconds of him pulling the completely tighted down drag, the line went slack. I had replaced the hook on the leader because I wanted a heavier one than I had originally tied on and I guess I didn't tie the knot well enough. When I got the line in, the hook was gone and you could see the twists in the end of the line from the blood knot. First time I've ever had that knot fail. Rerigged, taking a few more wraps with the blood knot this time, and sent down another big Blue Runner. About ten minutes later felt the same tug, tug, tug followed by the bent over rod. Same thing as the other one, move him up about 25 feet and then he headed for the bottom. He pulled the completely tightened down drag as I braced the rod until he got back down and then he rubbed me on something and broke off. Went back down again, but never got another bite. I'm sure they were some of those big old pet Groupers that McGolfer keeps out there.

After that we decided to troll over to Tequila for the Blackfin bite. We decided to let Brewjr be first up and about he got the Hoo on a bubble head type lure we were pulling. We didn't weigh it, but it was a little over five feet long and I would guess it at close to 50 lbs. He was a happy camper.

We killed the couple of hours till dark trying for AJ's and only managed a couple of just short ones that had to go back over the side and Rex got a Blackfin that the Barracudas enjoyed, leaving him with just a head.

At dark, we started jigging and it was as slow as I've ever seen it at Tequila. In three hours we managed five Blackfin and a small Yellowfin. We decided to go back to Sunrise and see if maybe there were some there. No luck, but we did manage a nice 8 lb. Red Snapper. First one I've ever caught while Tuna jigging. After giving up on the Tuna we returned to Tequila and tied off for the night.

Just before daylight, I kept hearing boats running and when the sun came up there were about 15 to 20 boats around us. I felt like one of the German troops looking out at the English Chanel at dawn on D-day. They kept calling each other on the radio getting time checks for 7:00 and we finally figured out that it was Poco Bueno participants. The trolling around the platform was like driving in Southwest Freeway traffic, but they were all good captains and it was as good an example of how to work a congested area as I've ever seen. I wish some of the boats I've seen trying to work A28 could have witnessed how well it can work when everybody is courteous and does it right. We saw a couple of the boats hook up and heard one them call a Marlin in to the tournament officials, but couldn't ever see which boat it was.

We trolled for a while along with the rest of the armada and Rex hooked up with a pretty good fish that managed to throw the hooks on his Rapalla. At about 8:00 we started in hoping to find some weeds to get a few chicken dolphin. Found a few scattered patches, but no well formed lines. We got about 15 chickens off of a couple of the bigger patches. Saw one small Triple Tail, but he swam on past before we coud even get a line out to him.

Made a stop at Tall Rock and trolled a few minutes. Got one King and a pretty nice Spanish there. By then we were all pretty beat and decided to call it a day.

Not a great trip fishwise, but we had some good tugs, ended up filling the 190 qt Igloo and gave Brewjr another fish to put on his list of personal bests.

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
I just KNEW it, I had a feeling that Brew Jr. was gonna hook up big-time! I didn't know it would be that big though! Congratulations my young friend, Happy for you!

Good report and pics, Hate I had to miss that one! Now I got work to do. Gotta get the yard cut before dark and help with a little more house work. Becky's birthday party is over here tomorrow. Riii-cooo, oh RIIIIIII-COOOOO....

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Dang

Awesome report. Jim if you ever have an open spot think of lil ol me, Ill pay double my spot! LOL Ive been wanting to go so bad yet Ive never cleared the jetties in all my fishing life. All the reports on ttmb have made that desire so much worse. LOL Awesome trip and photos, and great fish BrewJr. You are one lucky dude, your getting stuff in your memory bank that some men never get to do. Great Job!

Zac

·
Registered
253 Posts
Everything I caught on that trip goes on my list of first. And boy do those wahoo make a reel sing I thought I was ganna get spooled after the first run I could see the inside of the drag but he stopped and I started cranking. He didn't jump but he boiled the water a couple times after he was hooked. And thank God he didn't go nuts in the boat.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I heard, but cannot confirm it, but I heard that if you grab a wahoo by the tail like you might do in the event you're going to release a king, that wahoo will act very calm. Opposed to gaffing the fish that can make it go crazy. I landed a perfect gaff on a 'cuda on Friday that must've hit it's brain because once I stuck it, the fish never moved a bit.

Get Wild

Eric

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well we gaffed him and he did not make one flop when he hit the deck and didn't make a move the whole time I had him in my hands. thats the first time any fish i have ever caught hasn't moved at least a little bit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It was a bubble head type lure. Rex may be able to give you a better description because it was his lure.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Caught something similar in Mexican waters off of SPI in 2001. They called it a Mexican Hot pepper fish. From what I was told, their fins have poison. Nice pictures, great report.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
brewjr,
If you get the chance, take a look at the December 2003 issue of Sportfishing Magazine. On page 34 they have a picture of that fish. It is a Longtail bass and it is a member of the grouper family. I imagine it is good eating but it doesn't mention that or anything about poisonous spines.

Here is a link:

http://www.thejump.net/id/longtail-bass.htm

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
definitely a longtail bass. Quite tasty.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts