2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a wild hair to hop on it Sunday. Found me a patnah in crime with Da Flinga. As of now, we plan on hitting Sam's Beach for the Dawn Patrol. We'll be rollin' in the Landcrusher with big for sale signs on it. Stop and say "Hi" if you are down thataway....Drew

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
My Brutha.

Im ready to hit Sams beach with ya bro. I couldnt make the trip today because of that 4 letter word. WORK!

We may be a day late, but we will be there. Hope to see some of yall there. A prayer will be in order. After all. Its church.

May God bless.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Ifn it makes yall feel any better

I pulled some nice looking trout out of there this morning. Almost right in front of the Polka dotted tree! LOL Candy Corn Bass Assassins was all they would hit for me. Lots of folks down there this morning.

Zac

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Zac. How green was the water? Was it rough? The cams look nice now....

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh and G.... Ken is in. So we'll swing by him on the way out. He lives a block off of Hwy 6 in First Colony so he is on the way....

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Actually Im working on a report so gimme a minute

I dont want to type it all twice, ya know? LOL

Zac

Sorry G, cant make it in the manana. Gonna spend the day with my girls.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Tough Grinding.

Man, Im sore. Im not used to grinding it out all day. LOL.

Drew, Ken and myself got to Sams beach right before daylight. There was that usual storm cell just to the the east that allways makes for an interesting sunrise. This sunrise was a little different this time. Ive seen so many at the beach, I should be used to them by now. But, this one was different. The cross that Guy built stood firmly planted in the sand, just over my right shoulder. To my left, the sun rising behind that storm cell with all those sunrays shining through, and to my right, the monument of a leader. Sam was with us.

Drew and Ken were using popping corks and I went with a Carolina rig throwing live shrimp. The water was great. A light sandy green to the beach, hardly any waves, just nice. The bad part was, no fish. I did manage a nice whitting and a sand trout. LOL. Ill be hearing about those fish for a week. But it was Hardhead city. Little bitty ones. They were so thick, I foul hooked 3 in a row. After a couple of hours of that, we decided to hit the backside. It took me awhile to convince Drew to try my spot. I know this little Flounder hole on the Galveston side, that is really easy to fish. Conditions were allmost perfect. Water was green, we had incoming current, allthough the tide was going out, it was nice. The bad part was, no Flounder. But there wasnt any Hardheads. Insted, we ran into dink Trout. They were thick. They could be caught at will. Im still lauging at Drew. I could hear him from the distance.

"Where you going"?

"To my hole" I replied. If you know how to read water and understand structure, you would be surprised at this spot. Its very easy fishing, and its so, so close to the bank. Not like wading out at the pump station. The bad part is, it was slow. We didnt catch any Flounder, but they could be seen. Little baby ones. I did manange several Dink Trout, Rat Reds, whitting and croaker though. Drew did about the same, and Ken managed a small black drum. Came close to the Texas Slam, but didnt. After a couple of hours of that, we hit what I call the point. Thats the backside curve of the island, and it sometimes holds big Trout. Still slow fishing though. By now, Im throwing every color plastic I had. Got one hit, but that was it. But Ken struck it pretty good. He brought in a fat Trout off the cork, that was a pretty nice fish. It may of only been 17-18 inches, but it was two sammiches.

All in all, the fishing was slow, but it was fun. Thats what its about. Its not like we didnt try. It was a pretty tough, and hot 6 hours. Thats what its all about. Just getting out there.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Oh yea.

Ive got a pretty good welt on my left calf from a jellyfish. One of these days, Ill learn to wear some long pants. lol

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
How late did you guys stay?

I heard stories and reports from Car Bodies that they put the hammer on the fish. Bite came a little later in the morning.

·
Old School
28,538 Posts
Troy.

We gave up the beach action prolly around 8:30. Im guessing. We mainly fished access 5 to see Sams memorial and see who was there. It wasnt all about catching. Heck. Between 5 and 6 really isnt that good for fishing. The G side is better. Its just where we go.

Come to think of it. At 8:20, we was at "Ernies Too", ordering hamburgers. LOL We talked to a couple of other guys who didnt do so good. They said the bite was early. then just died. There just wasnt enough water movement. Tide was slow, wind was flat, water was too clean. It was fun though. We thought the bay would be better, It was. But still slow.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Who knows?

What I heard is the bite turned on again around 9.....I guess it just depends on when the fish move through where you are.....But you are right, the best part is being there, fish or not!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts