2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to west bay this mornin on the yak and had a GREAT time catching a load of specs and enjoying the nice weather (well for this mornin at least)! The water was "trout green". I caught about 25-30 trout and one under size red. most of the trout were 13-14" but got 7 keepers on the stringer ranging from 16-20". lost a few nice trout right at my fingertips including a 22-23". I was throwing a small chart. shrimp tail soft plastic. What a morning!

Attachments

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Artificial...U better Quit...haha
Some of us have to work, and you're killing us. I might be trying my luck tomorrow before work. If this sore throat will back off some. Good job man, keep the reports and pictures coming

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya, i fished in the canals then fished right off into the bay about 15-30 yards where the houses blocked the wind (water was really greeen). I put in at a "secret" boat ramp in one of the bay house subdivisions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice Yak

I can't say I've ever seen that particular kayak. The "kingfish" logo does'nt sound familiar as far as make. TL

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the kayak is a new line that bass pro shops sells. Its priced cheap compared to other fishing kayaks ($429) ......and it works pretty well, as you can see from the pictures.

·
Big Overgrown Galoot
1,061 Posts
Hey yer Arti-O ....nice catch. Just an observation....don't mean to be a critic...you definately seem to know what yer doin..... noticin how your fish are strung up....and thought i'd offer this suggestion. Stick the poker through both the trouts upper lip and lower jaw..goin through top first.....when fish slips all the way to end...the floater will be topside of fish heads...so they won't float upside down in water. Trout utilize their gills better with their mouths completely closed....thus better oxygenation. With flounder ...don't matter...just lower jaw will do....much heartier than them delictate trouts. Got this tip from a feller named "Deke"....ya may have seen him around the fishin forums.

Anybody else have thoughts on this "stringin em up" topic?

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
well hope that tip helps for me birdnester. i hate to look back at my stringer and see the fish dead, guess i been doin it wrong.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the tip birdnester, I will start doing that from now on b/c i also hate seeing the fish die before they go on ice. all though it is hard to keep them alive anways when fishing from a kayak, try paddling against 10mph winds with 15 pounds of fish dragging behind you, its alot easier with the fish in the boat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts