2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday:
Rough water greeted us and fishing was very rough, went east to pick off two man limit of snapper & a couple slot reds at 35 miles.

Friday:
Fished around Clay Piles looking for Kings and Live bait as this was a dedicated prefish day before the SKA Tournament.
Found some bait and got to our spot and the Kings were thick for about 45 minutes, next bait in stays out for about 10 min before it just gets hammered and we feel like its a really good kingfish as it burned over 200 yds off the TLD 15 in 20 - 30 seconds, my son kyle increases the boat speed and were chasing this fish down to try and keep a little line on the reel.

The TLD was spooled with fresh 30LB Cajun line but I was really worried about pulling the hooks on this fish as it was a kingfish rig on 40LB wire with two #4 Treble hooks so the drag was a little loose.

After a few minutes we put alot of line back on the reel and everything seems to to going in our favor when she takes off again and almost spools me for the second time, increase boat speed again and we get some line back and the fish is straight down and the battle really begins almost 45 minutes go by and we havent got this unknown fish to budge, we started thinking AJ, Shark, something other than a Kingfish.

Finally I start making a little progress and inch by inch the fish is coming up but still extremely heavy, about 50 - 60 ' down we start seeing color and were thinking we hooked the winning SKA Kingfish a day to soon but as we get it up to about 20 feet we realize its a huge wahoo laying on its side and doing wide circles below the boat, shes really tired and most of here color has faded, my son Kyle sticks here perfectly with the Gaff and says holy **** I cant get her out of the water and hes excited as I've ever seen him while fishing offshore. I put the rod down and together we slid here over the side and when she hit the deck I couldnt believe we were able to land this beast of a fish, she was almost as long as the width of the cockpit.

never did measure her length or girth but she seemed extremely heavy for her length, I am guessing around 5' long but so thick it almost looked unnatural.

after this we had no more bites for an hour so we packed it in and headed towards Galveston to try to put some live bait in the live well for the start of the SKA tournament.

After getting to the GYB we weighed her on the digital scales back by the live bait tanks and she was 74lbs even.

We then had to start thinking about the tournament and getting the boat refueled, groceries, Ice, ect ready for saturday

Thank god my friend Jeff Guerin (ChaChing) was willing to help me clean her around 11:00 PM and I got a first class lesson on steaking a big fish, all I did was watch and Bag the baddest wahoo steaks Ive ever layed eyes on.

Saturday:
I am fishing the SKA Tournament with Brice Fuselier aboard the OutCast, A beautiful 35' MArlin with brand new Yamaha 300 rockets mounted on the back.

Up At 4:00 AM to get OutCast boat moved from GYB to Tiki to meet the rest of the team and make sure everything is ready for a 6:30 start.

We ran out to our spot around 70 miles fished hard all day with us catching and releasing 10 -15 Kingfish with three being solid thirty pounders we fished a little late and had to push it to be back to tiki by 7:00 PM deadline,

weighed the fish 32.something pounds, clean the boat, fuel the boat, ect.
next thing you know its midnight.

Sunday
Head out to try a different location and dedicate the whole day to fishing on spot as Brice & Chris feel like there are a couple quality fish and we just gotta wait for them, we found them around 10:00 am as we landed a high 30 lb fish and then a low 40LB fish to end the day, again we fish till the last moment and had to push the outcast to the pins to make it back before the 3:30 deadline.

full throttle, 50 MPH and were back at Tiki with 10 - 15 minutes to spare.
our big one weighed 42.3lb and was good enough for us to finish in 13th place out of 74 boats, not to shabby.

To finish this novel I want to thank Capt. Brice along with Chris, John & Brian for allowing me to experience Kingfishing with a tournament seasoned team.

Let me tell you it is was extremely fun but also alot of hard work and over the course of fishing four consecutive days on about 4 hours sleep every night
I was about as tired as ive ever been.

Would I do it again...............Hell Yea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
WHOA!!

Nice Hoo! That fish would have been worth several thousand dollars in the Watermelon Open last weekend.

What bait for the Hoo and Kings?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice Fish

I think that was you that pulled up to us (Black 25 Contender)on friday looking for some ice for the fish.There were several large Hoos caught from the same area on saturday.

We did the 4 day deal too but thankfully the seas were flat and it wasnt as hard on the body as most tourneys are.Glad you guys found a good fish.All we could muster up was a 31 lber.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Capt.Cook said:
I think that was you that pulled up to us (Black 25 Contender)on friday looking for some ice for the fish.There were several large Hoos caught from the same area on saturday.

We did the 4 day deal too but thankfully the seas were flat and it wasnt as hard on the body as most tourneys are.Glad you guys found a good fish.All we could muster up was a 31 lber.
yeah this is his son, and i think we saw u guys around A-68 if i remember right. you have a really nice boat, to bad about the tourney, i wasnt in it but i know that it took a really nice fish both days. oh well maybe freeport next month...

·
Registered
199 Posts
awesome hoo that is the biggest i have seen in a long time. great report i like the detail in it. while you were chasing that fish in your report it made me feel like I was right there on the boat with you. that would have made getting that big fat hoo in the baot a bit easier lol. congrats on a nice finish in the SKA tournament that was a nice finish for the amount of boats entered in the tourney.

Ramon

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, that was us trying to mooch some ice capt. cook, I even got my battery back that I loaned to those guys in the dark blue boat that was tied up on the opposite side of the rig when we saw you.

we were using live hard tails for the Kingfish and the wahoo was kind of a fluke as we normally target Wahoo with high speed jets from 7.25 oz to 16 oz at a trolloing speed of 10 to 14 kts.

I am attaching one more picture standing with my crew.

Thanks again to my son Kyle (CCBluewater) for being my Gaff Man and sticking that hog on the first attempt.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Wtg

Kevin A and crew. That was a great read and about as close as most of us will come to such a thrill. (I'll try to come down off of this thrill now)

Keep up the good work guys.

Bernard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts