2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone if Alaska sent this picture calling it a red snapper it's not is it?, It doesn't look like the coloration and fins of a snapper. It's fin structure looks more like a red grouper, but I dunno.
anyone?

a

Attachments

·
Chest deep in the Blanco River
1,838 Posts
Send it back and tell him it's a Texas red goggle eyed perch :) - mighty fine bait fish around here.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Closest relative we have to this beast is our scorpionfish. My daughter and I caught a ton of those and a bunch of other rockfish in Alaska a few summers ago. We weren't too impressed with their eating quality. Dry white flaky meat without much flavor. They call em red snapper hoping to fool unsuspecting shoppers into thinking that they're getting ours (Lutjanus campechanus) instead of a member of the Scorpaenidae family.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's a red rockfish (yellow-eye rockcod or red rockcod). The Alaskan locals call them red snappers but obviously not at all related to the true american red snappers we catch in the gulf. Those and lingcods are by far some of the best eating fish anywhere. You just have to know how to handle them.

The key to most of the alaskan caught bottom fish (rockcod, lingcod, and halibut) is to keep the filets in the fridge for about 24 hours. The meat will then firm up very well and taste very sweet. Interestingly, the same species that are caught in Northern California don't have to undergo the fridge treatment.

T3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts