2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I think the one is a strawberry grouper. (correct me if I'm wrong) The little one, I'm shootn' in the dark and saying, maybe, Mutton snapper. If anyone knows, please help me out. Also if this is a strawberry, how many can you keep? I found a coral reef yesterday about 49 miles out of POC, and we must have caught 45 or 50 of each of these fish. I kept one for I.D. Lastly, there was one other type of fish that I see all the time. They look almost like fresh-water carp. They are between 5 and 20lbs. They have tiny mouths, travel in huge schools on top in 100+ feet of water, and eat anything you throw to them. I have a picture, but it's on my other camera. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
top one looks like a strawberry grouper, If I am not mistaken, they will fall into the same regs as all other groupers. Yall correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking 2 per boat unless one is a warsaw? The other I havent got a clue.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
last i remember

top fish 5/person actually a hind

bottom fish general reef category 10/person grunt, assorted other snapper etc.

schooling fish likely bermuda chubs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya'll are awsome. What's the difference between a "hind" and a strawberry? And does anyone eat the grunts or chubs? Thanks.

·
omanj
558 Posts
The grunt would be okay to eat; however, the chubs are terrible. I tried bermuda chubs twice-once fried and once broiled. In both instances I threw the meat away. My cat who loves all kinds of fish wouldn't even try it.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Strawberry is the colloquial nickname for a rock hind in these waters. The grunt you caught is good live bait (ruby red lips is another name for it).

Strawberry grouper (rock hind), limit 5 per person in aggregate with the other groupers besides warsaw (1 per boat). Just to lessen confusion for you next time, all snapper besides vermilion and yellowtail have teeth.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
James Howell said:
Strawberry is the colloquial nickname for a rock hind in these waters.
Over 45 years of fishing offshore in Louisiana and Texas and that is what I have most commonly heard them called. Most folks wouldn't know what fish you were talking about if you called them Rock Hind.

There are many local names for fish and my philosophy is "when in Rome". So I catch White Trout out of Grand Isle and Gulf Trout out of Freeport. If somebody insists on using the right name, that's fine too, but it usually indicates to the locals that they are a newby.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
The top fish is a strawberry grouper but is really a member of the hind family as other 2coolers have already mentioned.

The lower fish is a Haemulon aurolineatum, or tomtate. Locally, it is called the ruby-lipped grunt. The key identifiers are its bright reddish-orange mouth, a spot on the tail and a faint to bright yellow line that traverses the fish. This fish is not known to exceed 11 inches in lenght but it is a good baitfish.

Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Tomtate is the winner....

mredman said:
The top fish is a strawberry grouper but is really a member of the hind family as other 2coolers have already mentioned.

The lower fish is a Haemulon aurolineatum, or tomtate. Locally, it is called the ruby-lipped grunt. The key identifiers are its bright reddish-orange mouth, a spot on the tail and a faint to bright yellow line that traverses the fish. This fish is not known to exceed 11 inches in lenght but it is a good baitfish.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts