·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Science prize celebrates fish flatulence, hula hoops

Last modified: October 1, 2004, 10:58 AM PDT
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Speak to me not in the language of the herring. That's assuming that the Scottish Association for Marine Science is correct in its conclusion that the tiny fish communicate via strategic gas releases, one of the scientific breakthroughs recognized in the 2004 "Ig Nobel" Prizes.
Besides fish flatulence (which adds a whole new meaning to the phrase "You smelt it, you dealt it"), winning research topics this year included the physics of hula hoop manipulation and the suicidal effect of country music. Some highlights:

• The Scottish Association for Marine Science and Sweden's National Board of Fisheries concluded in separate studies that herring communicate through a process politely described as "bubble release" or "burst pulse sounds." Annals editors helpfully translate the technique as "farting."

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Science+prize+celebrates+fish+flatulence%2C+hula+hoops/2100-7337_3-5392509.html?part=msn-cnet&subj=ns_5392509&tag=msn_home&GT1=5410

·
Ken
541 Posts
They ought to study barracuda toots next. I'm not certain, but I'd bet they make some REALLY interesting noises, kinda like you'd hear a day or so after going to Mexico and drinking the water.

While I've never observed a herring passing gas, every time I've ever observed a 'cuda in the ocean, hanging out near the back of the boat, there's always been a nearly-constant stream of bubbles from it's booty region. I dunno if it's language, if it is, it's probably mostly a whole lot of four letter words.

Should they decide to study them, though, they may want to wear a gas mask. As bad as a 'cuda stinks, it's flatulence could be what's really been eating up the ozone layer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts