2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best thing to cover a fish cleaning table with? I'm tearing an old one down and building a new one from scratch out of wood and the current surface is 3/4" plywood. Its a 2'X4' surface. I was thinking covering the plywood with a sheet of stainless steel but would like to get some other suggestions. Is it worth covering at all, meaning should I just leave it plywood?Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Use starboard, expensive but won't dull your knives and cleans up w/ bleach. Best prices are online...try thecuttingboardfactory.com

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
kenny said:
by the piece os 4X8 sheet.
Dang Kenny... you are on a roll today. There is a pos $3000 boat you posted about and now a pos 4X8 sheet. LOL

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Infamous,
Yeah, I posted about the boat the other day. I just couldn't imagine a fiberglas boat 20' or larger for $3000. It would have to be a real 'fixer-upper".
And you, you posted a cruel sadistic photo of a poor mama duck that made a terrible mistake that will haunt her until duck season!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info - I forgot about Starboard. I actually have a piece left over from a project. Its only 2X3.6, but it will work. Spots&Dots, I thought about the guys at SAWs, and I may call them tomorrow to see what they got. They sure got me fixed up in a hurry with my broken cooler rack and the bill wasn't bad either. I saw one of their cleaning tables on display - don't think it fits in the budget, but sure was nice.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
The cutting board Factory

I bought a sheet of cutting board cut to my size from them cheap. They sell 1/2", 3/4", and 1" up to a 4X8 sheet and will cut to order. It works great and I have loved it so far.

Zac

Attachments

·
Salt/Freshwater Angler
214 Posts
wow thats a nice table! i usually just get a piece of card board and do a quick job in the kitchen cause i dont like being outside with the bugs.

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Dang Zac, now you done gone and dunnit. I need to build one to. Now I won't be able to go to sleep tonight 'cause I'll be designing it in my head! :)

·
Life is good on the bayou..
3,956 Posts
You can get actual cutting board material...

at Regal plastics for under $100 for a 4x8x 1/2 sheet. It high density polyethalene but it has a special surface texture that is non slip and will not dull your knife as fast. With a 4x8 sheet you can make the table top and a separate cutting board for when you carve up that fried turkey or big brisket.

I have noticed it will stain if leaves sit on on for weeks !

I did a lot of reaseach before building mine. Most of the advise was predictable, however out of all the advice I gathered, one pieced turned out to be of real value.

Make it wide enough for TWO people.

The rest is just interesting.

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
I have been using a black bread tray that turned over works well. Holes and plastic hold the fish and drain well too. Might try one on tope of the table.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
I love mine

It is so nice being able to stand up straight while I clean fish. Im only 6' tall but it seems every table Ive ever used Im leaning over and my backs starts killing me. The only thing I might change is to replace the top with a solid sheet of cutting board instead of 1/3 being plywood. Mine is all treated and a few shots of Cloroc Cleanup and a little scrub when Im done keeps it nice and clean. I also use one of them clamp on shop lights if Im cleaning at night.

Zac

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone. My plan is to build the thing out of wood with a nice sized roof to cover the cleaning table The bottom edge of the roof will be 6'6" off the deck. I'm going to cover the cleaning surface with the piece of starboard that I have. It will have a rail around it with holes to allow water to drain.The table will be slightly tilted back toward the canal so that the water drains off. In one corner, I'm going to have a large hole that will hold a tuppaware type container for fish filets. I will have 2 outlets, one on each side of the table but they will be mounted up high so that the filet knife wire stays off the table. I will also have a small spray hose hanging from the roof area so that nothing is actuall on the table but the fish. For light, I have a 2ft flourecent light that I can hang from the roof. Am I missing anything other than the fish?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Well lets get technical here

I did a little ergonomics research when I built mine and it said for the least amount of strain on your neck, shoulders and back, the working surface should be 2" above or below your elbow. Thats how I did mine and trust me it sure makes a difference when standing there for 20-40 minutes. Otherwise sounds like you got a plan. Make sure the outlets are on a gfci and your in buisness.

Zac

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks *********, never would have thought to raise the table higher, but I know what you mean about the ergonimics, especially since I'm already 6'3". Thanks for the tip. I'll rework my mental plans to make that change. Yeah, already got GFCI plugs on the old table that I will reuse on the new one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts