2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I'm from CA and there are way too many tree huggers here to ask this. I want something in 30-06 since that will be the best all around cartridge for North America. I plan to go hunt deer this year (first time) and eventually Elk in other states.

I have looked at Ruger, Savage and Remington so far. I know that the Remington 700 is an excellent rifle. My friend owns a Ruger and its really nice too. The Savage appears to be nice and the trigger is pretty awesome. Any thoughts as to what I should go with?

I appreciate the input!

·
Rattle snake AL
1,789 Posts
30.06 is a nice caliber. I like browning A-bolt and the remington mod 700. I have been leaning towards the composite stocks because they don't get scratch up so easy.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you're stuck on 30 Cal, I'd get a .300 Win Mag or the .300 Win WSM. I prefer the Remington 700 BDL composite. The .300 will do Anything you want.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Bantam, After all the help you gave me on my reels, maybe I can now repay the favor...

There is nothing wrong with a 30-06, I own a few and sold a lot of them when I owned a gun shop in San Antonio.

As far as an all around caliber, I prefer the 7MM mag. In Texas I shoot 139gr ballistic tip and in Colorado I shoot 175GR lead nose, or hand loaded 200gr silver tip.

I have always been partial to the Rem. 700 BDL and the Browning A-Bolt both very nice rifles and good shooters. Last year my truck was broken into and one of my rifles was stolen. I replaced it with a Tikka (Made by Sako)in 7MM mag. It has the same hammer forged barrel usen in the higher end Sakos guaranteed MOA accuracy. At first I didn't think I would like it but I actually love it. The best part about the Remington 700 and the Tikka (I believe the A-Bolt as well) is they come out of the box with adjustable triggers.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need more info.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
My first gun was a 30.06 Savage. As far as the caliber ... likely the best all round cartridge for hunting. The gun is just plain versatile. Ammunition is readily available in many, many options. I use 150 grain CoreLokt out of the box, and they've always done a great job for deer and hogs in Texas. The 'kick' is moderate. So you can spend plenty of time at the range.

I think Savage is a good beginner gun. I bought the package that comes with a scope. The darn thing was almost sighted in perfectly out of the box. Bolt action is easy to break down and clean. Search around on the web, The Savage gets great reviews - especially when you consider the price. There are nicer guns out there with better craftsmanship and accuracy. But for the price the Savage is tops.

The interesting thing about the 30.06 is it's a great gun to build a collection around. Since it's such a 'standard' as it's been around for so long you can buy other guns based on what the 30.06 won't deliver. For example, I wanted a lighter round that would shoot as far and as flat ... so I picked up a 7MM.08. After that I got a hankering for something a little more fun that a bolt action - I went with a Marlin 30.30. After that, I wanted a 'big bore' with more power - I bought a 45/70. My 30.06 Savage still remains my standard hunting weapon for deer season, when I get an invite to a friends ranch and I'm not sure of the conditions.

The gist is, the Savage 30.06 was a great gun to start with. Easy to practice with at the range, easy to try different ammunition and easy to take into the field. As it was a low price gun, it allowed me to learn about my preferences and think about what I would like in my next gun.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friends Ruger is a .300 WM and I really like it but man it hurts! I think that hunting here in CA will at be longer range due to hunting pressure. Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems like a lot of people see them just out of range for say a .270.

I know that .30 is the way to go. I do like the ballistics of the 7mm too. If it was good enough for the Germans then its good enough for me :)

I figure I'll buy once and it will last a long time. I want good quality like all my other firearms. I just have never owned a bolt action rifle and I want to be sure its worth the money.

Thanks for the help!

·
We all have it coming......
8,792 Posts
IMO. all 3 you listed are good guns. Just find what feels best to you and go for it. You can fine tune choices as your collection grows.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Opinions on guns will always vary,to many options to choose from, I got my first rifle in 1977, it was a 243, probably the only thing they had back then besides your standard stuff like 30-06, 270, 30-30, etc.. in 1978 my uncle gave me his rem. 7 mag, still shoot it today because I like it, just my 2 cents.

·
88 Ag
6,223 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3 that you mentioned. I shoot a Browning A-Bolt in 30.06 and love it. If you don't reload, you might want to consider that if you need ammo out in the middle of no where for some unexpected reason, you will probably have a much better chance of finding 30.06 than the other 2 only because the 30.06 and .270 are probably the 2 most popular calibers ever sold. Like one of the others stated, I went with the stainless stalker with the BOSS. I always wear ear plugs - even hunting so the noise isn't an issue and as far as recoil is concerned you won't even notice it.

·
Too far from the ocean ...
2,504 Posts
Handle them all and pick the one that fits you the best. Don't buy what somebody else likes best.

:)

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys I really appreciate it. I will be looking into the 7mm a little bit more. I like the .300 WM too, but I figured with ammo that I had many choices with 30-06.

I don't reload yet but I plan on it. I have been saving brass for a while now and just waiting to purchase a nice Dillon.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
If you want to reach out beyond the range of a .270 as you mentioned in one post, then a .30-06 is probably not the answer. However, I think on deer-sized game a .270 will kill them way past the range I have any business shooting.

Syncerus gave you some good advice -- try them and pick the one you like the best. We all have personal preferences based on our experiences and sometimes our irrational prejudices. My only .30-06 is a remington 725 that was my grandfather's. I would never part with it but if I bought another (and I found myself thinking about it just this week) it would not be another Remington. Just a (mostly irrational) personal preference.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm very comfortable shooting at long range. I have shot well over 500 yards on several occasions(paper and steel) with good success. I'm no sniper but I can get the job done I think.

I like .30 cal since it will suit me for almost anything that walks or crawls in North America. I know the .300 WM has more energy at range but I doubt I will need it for anything I plan to hunt. I thought about using my SKS but after 200 yards the accuracy is slightly questionable.

I'm going to go to the local gun store this weekend and look at everything. I have shot Remingtons, Rugers and 1 Savage rifle. I have heard that the Browning is very nice too. I'm prepared to get raped here in CA when buying one :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
You might take a look at the T/C Encore Pro Hunter. I got one this year in 22-250 and it shoots great. The Pro Hunter has a 28'' barrel so you get a little extra velocity. It is a single shot, so you may not like that. With the longer barrel you can get close to factory magnum velocities with handloads or Hornady light mag loads with the 30-06.

The best thing about the Encore is if you find you need a different cal. you can get a barrel for less than 300.00, and in 5 minutes you have a new rifle.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
If you spend 500 on a rifle plan on spending 500 or more on a scope if you plan on thumping criters at distance.... I would reather have a lesser brand gun and better scope...

John

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jtburf said:
If you spend 500 on a rifle plan on spending 500 or more on a scope if you plan on thumping criters at distance.... I would reather have a lesser brand gun and better scope...
John
I am prepared to purchase good glass. I have great glass on my AR and I would not substitute for poor Chinese made scopes. I will probably be buying a Burris through one of our reps. If not it will be a Luepold, Zeiss or maybe a Nikon(?)

I have looked at the TC's also. I like how you can change calibers quickly. A single shot break action is probably more accurate than a bolt action (which I'm sure has been argued in the past). A bolt action is nice for a follow up shot without loosing sight of your objective too much.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'd stick with the 30-06 as it will meet or exceed your needs 99% of the time. The benefits of having a vast selection of relatively inexpensive ammo choices available nearly anywhere will outweigh the added ballistic performance of a magnum in most real world situations. Don't get me wrong, I like magnums. I've used various 270, 7mm and .300 magnums and currently have 270 and 300 WSM's that are great, but the 30-06 is the perfect start to a big game arsenal. It's such a good start that you may never need anything else.

Find a rifle that fits well and points naturally for you and then practice at all reasonable hunting ranges (a rangefinder is a great aid for this). Make sure to allocate enough funds for a good scope (Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 is tough to beat for the $) and you should be set.

·
Back in da Saddle
10,149 Posts
I hunted a few weeks back with a buddies Nikon scope and was highly impressed....

it drew a ton of light, crystal clear, excellent adjustments....

John

1 - 20 of 28 Posts