2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bride and I are fixin' to take our first trip to Port O'Connor (with a boat). We went a few weeks ago just to get the lay of the land and loved it, but this is the first real trip with our new (to us) Proline.

We've been going to Port A for some years and just got tired of the crowds and "Key West" atmosphere. Do Y'all have any tips, suggestions, observations, or local knowledge for Port O? I'm talking about bait houses, boat ramps, accomodations, hazards or anything else that could benefit us and steer us to a safer and more pleasant trip?

By the way, I'm planning on being in the water Tuesday morning feeling my way around and Wednesday morning, weather permitting, heading offshore to see if anything is interested in getting a sore lip. Boat is a 27' Proline CC with twin Oceanrunners that will be behind white Chevy 3500 until it's launched. If anybody want's to buddy up or needs a hand or just shoot the bull, give us a holler. I'm all ears about Port O...inshore ond off (not looking for spots...I'll find my own..., just nice-to-know stuff).

Thanks guys,

Buck

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Good luck Buck, be sure and hit all the buoys out of the big jetties for mr ling, or a triple tail or two, check all weedlines for chicken dolphin and the fish mentioned above.... If it's calm and green to the beach cruise about a mile or two west of the big jetties down the beach and anchor just outside the third bar for some non stop trout jerking....... Look for mr tarpon rolling 1/2 mile out from the beach..... Man, wish I was going with cha....lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Port O

Thanks BH,

I'll try all of that. Now if the weather will cooperate. It's was calm and flat for two weeks. Now it'll probably blow for four days. Oh well, it's still better than being at work.

Thanks again.

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
If you go offshore, when leaving the PO little jetties do not cut a straight path to the big jetties otherwise you will end up meeting the "middle grounds" Smaller bay boats than yours can run across them (depending on tides) but you would probably end up stuck. If you have a good map on your gps you should be able to avoid with no problems. The middle grounds are not directly in line but I have seen plenty of boats "drift/tack" off towards the south shoreline and end up aground. Stay in the IC channel markers and follow them out to the big jetties and you will have no problems.

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Misty Dawn said:
My bride and I are fixin' to take our first trip to Port O'Connor (with a boat). We went a few weeks ago just to get the lay of the land and loved it, but this is the first real trip with our new (to us) Proline.

We've been going to Port A for some years and just got tired of the crowds and "Key West" atmosphere. Do Y'all have any tips, suggestions, observations, or local knowledge for Port O? I'm talking about bait houses, boat ramps, accomodations, hazards or anything else that could benefit us and steer us to a safer and more pleasant trip?

By the way, I'm planning on being in the water Tuesday morning feeling my way around and Wednesday morning, weather permitting, heading offshore to see if anything is interested in getting a sore lip. Boat is a 27' Proline CC with twin Oceanrunners that will be behind white Chevy 3500 until it's launched. If anybody want's to buddy up or needs a hand or just shoot the bull, give us a holler. I'm all ears about Port O...inshore ond off (not looking for spots...I'll find my own..., just nice-to-know stuff).

Thanks guys,

Buck
You going this Tues./Wed. (20/21)?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, this Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks for the heads up on the Middle Ground S'n'D. I had noticed it on a chart and thought it was probably a good idea to stay in the channel until I get my bearings and a little time in the area. When the draft of the vessel exceeds the depth of the water, you are most assuredly aground!

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Misty Dawn said:
Yep, this Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks for the heads up on the Middle Ground S'n'D. I had noticed it on a chart and thought it was probably a good idea to stay in the channel until I get my bearings and a little time in the area. When the draft of the vessel exceeds the depth of the water, you are most assuredly aground!
I have half way talked myself into going this wed., although I should wait another week, been the last two wednesdays, those are tiring trips trailering from New Braunfels. Will let you know if I will be down there

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Boat Storage In Victoria

If any of you 2coolers are going to be trailering a boat to POC & want to store it very inexpensively between trips, I have a large outdoors storage area available at my boat storage facility. I do not have any stalls available at this time, but have a lot of outside storage area....

It is 1/2 mile off the loop around Victoria & is Very Secure. I normally charge $35.00 per month for outside storage, but will discount to $25.00 per month for 2Cool members. In addition to the storage area, there is a concrete wash down facility with lights.... included in the deal....

The place is fenced, & locked.. You will be given the combination when you rent...

Lemme know if interested

Supergas
Tejas Boat & RV Storage
[email protected]

·
Cereal Killer
4,153 Posts
Supergas said:
If any of you 2coolers are going to be trailering a boat to POC & want to store it very inexpensively between trips, I have a large outdoors storage area available at my boat storage facility. I do not have any stalls available at this time, but have a lot of outside storage area....

It is 1/2 mile off the loop around Victoria & is Very Secure. I normally charge $35.00 per month for outside storage, but will discount to $25.00 per month for 2Cool members. In addition to the storage area, there is a concrete wash down facility with lights.... included in the deal....

The place is fenced, & locked.. You will be given the combination when you rent...

Lemme know if interested

Supergas
Tejas Boat & RV Storage
[email protected]
That was you who I had talked to about this last winter, I accidently deleted our messages and couldnt remember who it was. I will be in touch very soon...am tired of hauling back and forth.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Watch where you park your truck and trailer when you launch your boat at Port O'Connor. The parking lot at Froggie's Bait Dock at Byers and Maple has 2 handicap parking spots. They are not marked very good and it is easy not to notice it is a handicap parking spot. Last month I was out in the boat for only 3 hours and when we returned to the dock my truck and trailer were gone. Man that was a bad feeling. It cost me $446 to get my vehicles back from the tow yard in Port Lavaca. What a rip off.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
for a place to stay, go to Clarks, they have a really nice hotel with boat slips in front of every room. we stayed there last year when we made the toy run, really nice rooms, or you can check out the suites, you casn live in one of them comfortably

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Poc

Thanks for all the info, y'all. We got to Port O just in time to watch sixteen inches of rain fall. The good part is that the boat was nice and clean when I put it in wednesday!
We had a good time, although the weather conditions weren't the best. I'm going back in July and heading offshore.
Thanks again.
Buck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts