2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BlueDog
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather permitting, I am going to try my luck outside the Port A jetties. I would like to catch a couple of these Kings I hear have been hanging around. Being as this is my first attempt, I thought it might be wise to ask for some help. I have an 18.5' bay boat and no downriggers so I can't get to crazy. Any help would be much appreciated.

-Steven

·
Registered
303 Posts
jetty kings

To catch kings off the jetty you don't want to go far. Just drift ribbonfish on 3 hook rigs at different depths. Big kings are caught just off the apron of the jetties. Occasionally bump your motor to pull the baits up and then let them settle back down. The drop offs into the channel are good spots. You shouldn't need to go past the fairwell buoy to find action. Rig your baits with skirts and different size egg sinkers to vary your depth. Have a great day, Nate

·
Registered
54 Posts
5 miles outside the jetties..slightly south of east are 3 rigs..stand pipes..look for them when you clear the jetties..3 hook kingfish rigs with ribbon fish..drift or vary your trolling speed around the rigs...should have a blast..look out for those teeth.. ; )

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on your first time out! I remember my first time and i ended up selling a 19'ter to get a 25 mako! The kings are hot right now so you should not have any problem having a blast. Russel lures work great, especially if they are not feeding real hot. It makes them want to hit hard, so make sure you set your drag light or they will break you off. I usually will troll ribbons in the mix but 9 out of 10 times they will hit the russel. Make sure you use wire on your russel lures or they will bite you off. It works best if you fish from about 7 to 10 and from 5 till dark. Also check the tide reports, they will feed on the incoming and out going tide. Sometimes they will be on one side of a ship, standpipe, or the jetties. You just have to troll around until you get a hit. I have seen that area get repeat hits every time you come through. Last Sunday evening and Monday we caught 15 kings at the jetties. They are there, have a blast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts