2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody in the Leauge City area is interested in helping a first timer out I would be more than appreciative. I would buy all the stuff but I need equipment and guidance. I saw some rod blanks today and it got me to thinking. Is it that much cheaper to build your own? and why havent I thought of this before? So, is it cheaper because in my current financial condition cheaper is better!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, it can be cheaper, then again it can also be more expensive as well. It all depends on how far you want to take the acquisition of fancy tools, and high end components. I'll say that if you're willing to look around and find some closeout deals, you can build a killer rod for under $50.00. Now, it may not be the lightest, crispest most technically advanced rod, but providing you take your time to understand proper setup, and are willing to spend a little while attending to the details, it will still be better than anything you could buy off the rack. I would suggest you get a copy of Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman to familiarize yourself with the learning curve, and to make sure you understand what you're getting into.
Building rods isn't for everyone, but I can guarantee you that if you enjoy the satisfaction of tinkering with your equipment and tweakin it to get max performance, and you enjoy devolopig your skills as a craftsman, you you'll really enjoiy it a lot.

Let me know if I can help.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Quack
It is absolutely not cheaper because when you start doing this you can't stop. You will have to buy every color of thread, the newest components, the best blanks and all the various tools and gadgets. You can buy a rod off the rack for about the same price as the components will cost you.
Now having said that this is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever had. I have been building rods for about 15 or 20 years and I never get tired of it. I sell a few but I give a lot more away to relatives and friends. Sometimes I trade for something I want that I won't just go out and buy. I am working on a rod right now to trade for a GPS. So don't worry about the money, just get started and have fun.
PFD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts