2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a first time trip to Laguna. I've always wanted to fish there, but the six hour drive has stopped me so far.

But screw it, I want to go. So I'm planning a trip.

No money for a guide, so I'm thinking of putting in at Port Mansfield, and following my nose and a hotspot map to try to find some fish.

Any advice?

Tag

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,559 Posts
Not many rocks in Port Mansfield unless you mean guys with heads like rocks.

There are a lot of quirky little sandbars and posts and such that are pretty hard to see and you just need to know that they're there.

Only advice I can give you is to stay in the channels and watch other boats. And if you're running anything other than a Majek or Shallowsport don't follow anyone running a Majek or Shallowsport. :D

TH

·
The Duck of Death
2,246 Posts
Here's some very general " rules/observations"

You can catch ALLOT of fish and never get out of sight of the Water Tower.

Wind starts blowing at 10:30

IF the wind IS blowin and you can see water that doesnt have any ripples - THAT water is SHALLOW.

Try NOT to tear up the grass.

I've caught 10x's more fish wadin than driftin

1/16 oz Jig and a Red and White Plastic works on about everything.

I always try to fish depth change's down there. They dont really have much in the way of reefs or structure . but they do have allot of humps and break's . and generally those are good place to start and you can work um best wading.

Good luck . wish I could go
Dave

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Can't you run the icw and make 90 degree jaunts from that? Kind of like when the 90 degree rule is in effect at the golf course?

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
GoingCoastal said:
1/16 oz Jig and a Red and White Plastic works on about everything.

I always try to fish depth change's down there. They dont really have much in the way of reefs or structure . but they do have allot of humps and break's . and generally those are good place to start and you can work um best wading.

Good luck . wish I could go
Dave
Paddle tail soft plastics like Norton Bull Minnows are a most excellent choice down there. They stay in the right zone and generally avoid the floating grass and the grass on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
We usually make a trip each year to Port Isabel and even though it is a 6+ hr drive everyone has a good time once we are there, headed that way next week myself.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stuart said:
Can't you run the icw and make 90 degree jaunts from that? Kind of like when the 90 degree rule is in effect at the golf course?
You can, but you have to be mucho careful. Some places it is no problem, others it is a bad idea. Generally the farther south or north you go, the more careful you have to be. You mainly learn by getting out of your boat an pushing it off a spoil bank, or at least that how I learned. Go slow and look at it before you blast across it.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
Hardbait said:
You can, but you have to be mucho careful. Some places it is no problem, others it is a bad idea. Generally the farther south or north you go, the more careful you have to be. You mainly learn by getting out of your boat an pushing it off a spoil bank, or at least that how I learned. Go slow and look at it before you blast across it.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I never go blindly blasting across anything new and known to be skinny. Just meant for someone like me, I could use the icw to move big distances north and south and access spots (carefully) from it.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses, everybody. Looks like I may be able to go later, say september, rather than sooner (like now?).

Good advice all.

I'm not worried about shallow, following shallowsports or RFLs. My boat is pretty darn shallow itsownbadself, and pretty durn cheap by comparison to some of those glass rigs. Flatbottom aluminum with tunnel and sponsons: the only way to get shallower draft would be to fill in the tunnel and take off the motor.

RadioFreeTexas is playing Big John Mills. I hear you, Big John, I want to go Coastal, too!

Tag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts