2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be spending the first week of August on Galveston island with the family. I will be staying in a beech house on Kenedy Dr, Galveston. I've never been there before or ever surf fished before, but I'm thinking of taking some of my bass rod. Can I catch some trout right there off the beech or do I have to go to another part of the island. What lures should I get and what line wait.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Trout in the surf

Definitely! Trout are in the surf. 12 -14 lb test. Could go lighter but why? Heavier line if you want to put cut bait on the bottom for reds or ?. Touts, spoons, Dorkys, live shrimp. But i'm baitkiller....

·
Registered
166 Posts
y would u pick galveston for a vaction anyways yea the trout r in the surf since u never gone fishing beforein g-town i say just by some corks and fish live shrimp under corks if u dont want to fish arties. ull prob have to wade if u dont have a problem with that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

Thanks Baitkiller and Falco for your replies. I'm going to try and stay with artificials, because they are easier for me when I can only fish for maybe an hour at a time. Any good baits for Reds, that the trash fish will ignore?

Why Galveston, my wife wanted to take the kids to the beach within driving distance and we have family in Houston. I wanted to go to the mountains or the Caribbean.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I have a couple of gold and silver johnson minnows. Do most people have something to hold their rods, while they releasing fish or do they just tuck them under their arms?

Like I said this will be a new experience for me. I love to fish, but it's been fresh water lakes from a boat or wading for fresh water trout.

·
Team Grizzly
665 Posts
When im in the surf I carry as little as possible so the arm method works for me. If you want a simple wading belt works fine. Be careful of the currents and if you have a fish basket with tackle holder that's what I recommend. The are a lot of sharks in the surf right now so they might like a taste of you hard earned trout.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts