2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was invited to coast with about 10 guys that always go this time of year. It was a 184 mile drive from Austin to POC..

Got to Port O'Connor on Thursday night about midnight to lodge.

FRIDAY:Weather conditions on Friday: Winds out of the NE at 20mph gusting to 30moh. Air temp was mid 40's with wind chill in 30's. Water temp was 54 decrees. Water was murky. Waves were 2-3 foot. Went with Bass-N-Bay (Matt) to several places to find zero fish. Had boat problems and returned to land. I drove 70 miles to Aransas Bay hoping to find some fish to save the day. But found the same weather, except with heavy rain. Launched and fished a few hour. Catching dink trout in gale force winds. Other friends took guide boat out of POC. 5 keeper trout and 8 redfish, all in shallow-back bays. Tough fishing for two loaded boats. All fish came on Norton Sand Eels in Plum/Chart tail in 2-3 feet of water.

SATURDAY: Winds were out of the NE at 10-15mph. Again, went to several back lakes and flats to find dink trout on plastics. I did catch a stingray and one keeper trout in Pringle Lake. Drifted the flats. The afternoon, Matt found a rock jetty in 5-6 feet of water. Matt, Ben S, Marty and myself fished with plastics/jigs and popping cork with gulp. Marty caught his PB redfish of 32 inches. Great action to see, all that rocky ledge. Ben S and I caught a few keeper trout. Marty also caught another keeper redfish, fishing along the ICW and concrete bricks that line the ICW. Off the water at 5pm. 2 keeper reds and 3 trout.

SUNDAY: Most everyone at the lodge went back home except for Matt, Marty and I. Winds were calm and very foggy most of the day! We started back along the ICW at 11am when Matt hooked/lost a good redfish. Then he caught a 22" Redfish on White Gulp off the bottom. At 2pm, went back to rock jetty. I caught a 25" Redfish and four trout from 17" to 20", all on red plastics. Matt caught 2 keeper (solid) trout to 19". Off water and headed back to Austin at 5pm, Sunday.

The water is running about 1 and half feet higher than normal. I believe the fish are scattered in the bay system. I will be back once the tides go back down to normal..

Robert

PICS COMING!

PS: THANKS TO RO FOR ALL THE MEMORIES, TOO...

"This a drinking club with a fishing problem"......Best lodge I have stayed in!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts