2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a couple pictures of my first rod. It hardly compares to some of the incredible rods Ive seen posted on here, but its a start none the less. Im currently in college which can be quite stressful at times but Ive found it quite relaxing to sit down and work on a rod. I guess its the next best thing to being out on the water fishing. The rod is an older Basspro Gold Cup that I stripped down which turned out to be a little bit more work than I had imagined. I had trouble getting the orignal eva grips off so started using a razor blade to cut if off. That turned out to be a bad idea as I got careless, and the blade slipped through the eva resulting in four stiches in my hand lol. It was all worth it now that its done. I learned a lot though, like the importance of making a tiger wrap tight as seen in the one between the split grips. With this one complete, Im ready to start my next one. If you have any tips on where I can improve let me know since Im just getting started, and keep posting yalls custom rods. They motivate me to get better. Hope yall enjoy..

·
Registered
892 Posts
yeah! ya have a good amount of the moire effect in the tigers! really cool.

couple suggestions...
1) the lines you see in the tiger wraps are caused when the top thread that remains is moved durring removal of the sacraficial thread or after the sac. thread is off (maybe when applying CP?) Tips to avoid that are here
http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/Tigerholo.pdf

2) looks like finish or adhesive on the tip of the grip. if ya catch that when still wet it cleans off easily with Alcohol. If not, it's on forever unless you sand it off.

·
Rapper
400 Posts
Looks great. That's an awesome first rod. I'm sure you learned a few things to improve on as you built it. If you sand down the corner of the foregrip (as Ray mentioned), it will remove the excess finish and round off the corners giving you a nice clean taper. It will also be less prone to being torn. You did a very good job on it, wait till you catch fish on it. Nothing better. Randy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts