2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 22 year old student that is graduating in december. I have a job lined up for when I graduate, and I am getting married soon. I have an awesome life. There is one thing missing... a fishing boat. I have always wanted a fishing boat, and now I am going to have some extra funds that I would like to invest in a boat. I am into fishing the Galveston/Matagorda region but I occassionally make a trip south. I was wondering what you guys (the ones with many years boating/fishing experience) would reccomend. I have about 8-12K to spend on a used boat. I was leaning towards boats like Flast cat, transport,explorer, south shore, and shallow sports. I am open to any suggestions on the importance of draft, and any personal first hand experience with any of these boats and how shallow they will run. Thanks for the input, all of it is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Semi-V tunnel hull sounds like the best fit for your fishing habits. I would try and find a used Shoalwater or Transport in the 18' to 21' range with a Yamaha motor. These boats will draft 10" to 12" fully loaded and will get up a few inches deeper if they're set up right. I don't think you will find a Southshore or Shallowsport in that price range that would be in as good of shape as the two I mentioned but ya never know. Oh yeah, most tunnel hulls will run shallow enough to get you in trouble if you shut down in the wrong spot. They run shallower than they float. Good luck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Semi V Tunnel hull sounds about right. There is a specially sweet 18 ft mowdy for sale now in the classifieds now as well as a 17 ft explorer (clone) tv.
-KC

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love my 19 ft tunnel vee. Great all around hull design runs shallow but still handles rough water well. Explorer,Mowdy,Shoalwater,Bay Warrior.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am trying to stay light wieght because my truck is a V6. Does anyone have any knowledge of the draft on explorer tunnel vees? I know a southshore is a long shot but I LOVE the way they look and I have only heard good things about them. I am looking to buy in december. The soon wife to be is pushing very hard for a house. Thanks for all the input.

·
Mello Yellow
220 Posts
Draft

Don't try to go too skinny and sacrifice your ride too much, remember you still have to cross big water to get to skinny water. I just got rid of an ultra shallow scooter in favor of somthing that rides great and still goes pretty shallow (SCB).

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
For that price range.. Check out a Carolina skiff. .The new model with the semi v is very light and runs pretty shallow.....

You should be able to get one new for about $12 to 13k... There are alot of CC skiff people on this board....

The new ones dont beat you up like the old ones, and are very effiecient because of how light they are

Thomas

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that a SCB is a tad out of my price range, but I appreciate the suggestion Mike1010. I am just sick of fishing out of my kayak and elbowing people out of my way at the popular walk in spots. I am trying to stay with something that has low sides, but can still take a moderate chop while drafting less than 8 inches at rest(no flat bottoms). I know I am chasing a unicorn but I just want to have as much input before invest a good chunk of change into a big piece of fiberglass. Thanks again for all the input. Keep it coming

·
Husband First, Fisherman Second...
1,988 Posts
Whatever hull you choose I'd make sure it's an ole piece of fiberglass with a newer motor pushing it.

Nothing like being on a budget and getting stuck at the boat ramp with a motor that won't crank.

Coming from someone who's first boat was old and crusty, with a year old motor that had very low hours. It looked like poo, but cranked everytime.

·
Mello Yellow
220 Posts
Before the SCB I had a New Water Curlew, this is a great scooter. It handles a chop pretty well while drafting 5" and running in less. You might call New Water in San Antonio and ask if they know of any used ones for sale. I just sold mine about 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Since your budget is $8,000-$10,000 I doubt you'll find an SCB or Curlew. LOL

You mentioned Flatscat as a boat you had considered and I have had a 17' skiff going on six years and am constantly amazed at it's performance.

They're good boats reasonably priced, and like bslittle said; "Nothing like being on a budget and getting stuck at the boat ramp with a motor that won't crank."

Decide exactly how you're going to use it and shop for it a while, you'll find the right deal.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My first boat was an 18' Alumacraft tunnel center console with a 60hp motor. The thing ran super skinny and handled chop well. I bought it brand new ready to fish for ~$9500. I recommend a boat like this to learn on and become familiar with boats.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
If you want less than 8" draft you are basically ruling out anything except flat bottoms and maybe cats. Any of the tunnel Vs are going to draft at least in the 8-9" range or more. Don't get too caught up in ultra shallow draft. I have fished Matagorda all my life and I could fish 99% of the places I want to fish in this area in my Pathfinder which had a 12" draft and no tunnel. You say you have a kayak, well for fishing in less than a foot of water that is what you need to be using anyway. Run deep and fish shallow, your fellow fishermen will thank you for it and if you take that approach anything that drafts a foot or less is going to work fine in this area plus you can get a boat that will take crossing open water well.

I agree with some of the other posters, look into a good tunnel V like a Shoalwater, Mowdy, Explorer, GulfCoast or Tran or a cat like the Flats Cat or Tran Cat.

Personally in the areas you are talking about I'd take a V w/o a tunnel. I have had both, too.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Our boat is 4 sale.........probably one of the best "combo" boats out there for the Galveston Bay System.

Your cash would make a nice down payment on it!

Contact me if interested!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey

raw10628 said:
Check out the Tran Baby Cat in the classifieds, sounds like the perfect boat for what you need.
Like raw said!!!!! Check it out its a sweet rig for sure and right in your price range!!!!!!!!

Chad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts