·
El jefe
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys we got a little side tracked all i would like to know is
1. what depth are they tipicly found
2. are in genral areas or spread out
3. how to fish them
i am not entered in star and am not a chest thumper back at dock just a guy looking to bend a rod and try something new

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Key to fishing them is to get your bait down to that specific spot. Heavier tackle, and heavier weights. Hold the boat slightly upcurrent/updrift above the spot. If you miss the spot, you maybe fishing dead water becuase they only hold a few fish.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Will ask my Son and his techie friends to tackle the lat lon conversion problem the next time they converge on my house for an all night LAN party. Until then we suffer together.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Pilar

Conversion of loran numbers can be done. The Amdren system works great but remember they are only as accurate as the loran number when it was taken. So the conversion could be as much as a few hundred feet off. You caint tighten up the accuracy if the original number could have been off 200 feet.

Charlie

·
Banned
798 Posts
You might try getting to know an offshore shrimper and ask them about hangs...they keep a list of stuff they try and avoid. Then you can compare them to a more popular chart and see if they are listed or not..you may find some good spots. The picayune to claypile area is full of good spots you just have to look for them.

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Finding Snapper Structure SPI

Pilar,

I'm pretty sure that you fish SPI, so this is how we found snapper the very first time without any help. We started with the Hot Spots Map for the area and targeted the East Bank. It starts at about 15 nm due east of the jetties and is a good sized area. We've used 2 techniques to learn about the area. First, drifting the area with snapper rigs on the bottom. This is kinda slow at times, but we did find snapper spots. Also, try to watch the fish finder as well. When you get a couple of bites mark the spot on your gps. When you drift over the spot goes up current and try it again. If it's not productive enough either keep drifting or move back up current a bit on a different line and try it again. Drift a couple of surface lines as well to increase your chances. I've caught blackfin, wahoo, kings, dorado, sharks, bonito, ling, and sea gulls as well as snapper on the East Bank doing exactly this. Keep a decent sized spinning reel ready for swim ups.

The other thing we do there is troll the East Bank, making sure we stay on the bank. The driver watches the Furuno closely for mounds on the bottom, indicating a wreck or rock or a snapper column. I've seen a column reach all the way to the surface and I've seen them reach maybe 10-20 off the bottom. If you troll, having a rigged ballyhoo under an islander or small moldcraft is a good idea because there are sails caught there.

We've always enjoyed fishing the bank because of its close proximity. If you're patient and thorough you'll probably catch nice fish there.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Gary Graham books

The map place in Galveston is R. H. John company 518 23rd st 409 763 5742 they have the books

Charlie

·
Anything not prohibited is compulsory!
1,635 Posts
Hard Spot Depth

Sounds like people are calling hard spots any type of underwater structure. Then the question is 'how deep?'. Structure can happen at any depth. The real question is 'what kind of fish at what depth'. I've found snapper generally are best at 100' or more up to about 300'. Then it's pretty tough to fish for them. However, I've caught snapper in 35' water during the blue water months in the summer. Most of my AJ's have been caught from 150+. Grouper are generally deep, but I've seen gags caught in the SPI jetty in the winter. I hope that answers some of your questions. If not, ask again.

·
Registered
642 Posts
2wahoo said:
Sounds like people are calling hard spots any type of underwater structure. Then the question is 'how deep?'. Structure can happen at any depth. The real question is 'what kind of fish at what depth'. I've found snapper generally are best at 100' or more up to about 300'. Then it's pretty tough to fish for them. However, I've caught snapper in 35' water during the blue water months in the summer. Most of my AJ's have been caught from 150+. Grouper are generally deep, but I've seen gags caught in the SPI jetty in the winter. I hope that answers some of your questions. If not, ask again.
I know this is really gonna sound stupid but what's SPI?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts