2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Das boot out today. Sometimes I feel like a glutton for punishment, and I have to admit that I had lost faith in my ability to get this boat running right.... Last time out, I burned up a brand new exhaust boot (45$) and the exhaust bellows (30$) because a water hose blew off the engine driven water pump... So, it was with GREAT aprehension that I set off to splash the hull into the James River just one more time... I mean, how much punishment can one lay on oneself before a man breaks down?

Well... here's how it went... I should first qualify this by saying that I ran with a ripped exhaust bellows and a hole in the exhaust boot because I didn't feel like spending 75$ to see if I could melt a couple of brand-new ones again... First thing that happened was there was a brand new 24' "Hurricane" deck boat tied up at the ramp. I asked the owner if he would be so kind as to make sure that none of the ugly (from my boat) rubbed off on any of the shinier parts of his new ride.. he kindly abliged. I launched the boat and tied her up to the pier... parked the car and ran back to the pier... started the engine and let her run a while before casting off the bowline and backing away from the pier.. so far, so good. I did a U-turn and headed out into the James... it's about 60 yards of no-wake zone and then the channel.. again, so far, so good... no boat traffic to speak of (It was raining), made it to the channel and throttled her up a bit on plane and headed down river. Temps running to about 120 degrees... throttled up to about 2/3rds throttle, temp holding steady at 120 and down the river I go... a mile, then two...three, four... I get scared and turn back up river. This is going all too well, I tell myself, and I go all the way back up to the marina... still no overheating.
I turn her back around and head down river again, this time I go out of sight of the high-rise bridge next to the marina... about ten miles downstream, still running 120 degrees... so I run the throttle up until I get her WOT and still no overheating. I turn back around and run back up to the bridge, ten miles, and still the temp gauge is locked on 120 degrees. So I turn it back around and head downriver again... I think you get the point.... I ran for TWO SOLID HOURS... up and down, and then up and down again.... no overheating. I ran fast, slow, idled, did hole-shots, cruised at 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle with no rise in the temperature at all.:bounce:

I didn't have my depthfinder hooked up, else I'd have fished out of the channel for a while. All in all, I was well pleased with the way the boat ran.... now for even better news... I burned what looked to be half a tank of fuel... so I stopped at the gas station on the way home to top off the fuel tank. It took less than 6 gallons of fuel to fill her up. I figure three gallons an hour is pretty darn good for a boat that can cruise at about 30mph. It looks like I might get to fish before winter in my own boat afterall...

TT<><

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey

Ain't it a good feelin for something to finally work right? I always have a good feeling when a project like that pays off in being able to cruise down the water.

Now all we need are some pics.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't expect anyone else will remember, but the boat has damage to the port gunwale where a tree-limb fell on it during the hurricane last year. I have avoided repairing anything other than the engine related stuff until now... I started cleaning the interior and I even washed the boat a little bit this evening. As soon as I get it back out on the water, I'll take a few pics.... I've got to get a few rod holders and a top to shade my (now sunburned) bald head, and then I'll be ready to take the ankle biters fishing....

·
Registered
550 Posts
Understood

I know what you mean, I lost a 16ft flatbottom about 8 years ago, due to a tornado thinking it would look "cute" to have a large pine tree lying center-ways down the middle of the boat.. But at least you are cruisin'.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also believe this is living proof of the power of prayer. You can bet your last dollar that when I started talking seriously about dropping 16K$ on a new boat that my wife was praying her little heart out that I'd get this boat running LOL.......

I am in line for a promotion at work. If the new job goes through, I'll get paid for my overtime (a novel idea), and there'll be plenty of it, so I am still thinking really hard about that 24' Carolina Skiff or their SeaChaser line center console in about 20'... maybe a SeaPro... or a SeaSwirl Striper series boat... well, either way, I've got wheels for the water and I am thinking about a trip down to Lake Gaston to fish with the NightTrain soon. I have to repack the wheel bearings on the trailer.. put a set of bearing buddies on it and then it's off to the big still water down south of me... and some catfishin'

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Patience is ...

...a boat owner's and a fisherman's best friend.
Finally!!Yeeee(freekin')Haaaaaa!!Don't hardly think they gotta worry 'bout Blues overpopulating the area,NOW!Come on down one evening before ya haul it;we'll go out and mark bottom,let ya get your bearings a little.:cheers:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know when the best time to pay you a visit would be, and I will make every attempt to get down to see you. Tell me what to bring (gear-wise) and I will pack up for the night... I should be ready to tow the old skow down your way in another week... I even WASHED her last night... installed an old depth finder tonight and went to try it out, but the ramp I went to sucked wind.... nothing to tie off to and I was flying solo... so I came home with a dry keel...... If we catch stripers can I keep 'em down there?
Tom

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Tom...

Man,I'm excited FOR you,bro...feels kinda like I GOT A BOAT!!What nights are You available?REMEMBER...THIS IS THE 4th WEEKEND.Can you go thursday night?If not, let's go next thursday or friday night.I TRY TO AVOID WEEKENDS...BUT,WILL MAKE AN EXCEPTION FOR YOU.Let me know ahead of time if possible.And,YES,stripersx4per person over 20".

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check your email... talk to you later... I have to get up at 4am... I'm going to bed, with visions of large catfish dancing in my head....

·
Registered
564 Posts
Glad to hear it Hawkeye, your trials and tribulations with that boat have been going on for a good time now. Before you consider trading it for a new model, check out its "luck".
As much time as you've spent on it, it might be worth keeping.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
''Attn:All Roanoke River Basin Bluecats and Stripers...You have been warned!!"
:rybka:
NightTrain/Hawkeye

1 - 13 of 13 Posts