2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You sit in the fighting chair and then your handed a 80 or 130lb set up with the drag screaming. Everything is secured and your ready to get it on with a fish of a lifetime, what is the proper way to fight the fish so the fish gets whipped and not the angler? thanks for any info or links. ashton

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Left hand on top of reel, guiding the line. Right hand on reel handle, not too tight, winding. No hands on the rod foregrip.

Arms bent a bit. Feet on foot rest. Reel clipped in.

Reel your body up off the chair, while bending your legs. Then, pull back using your legs (not your back or arms) by simply straightening your legs.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Ashton,
I would agree with Ernest. If you are fighting in a chair, there is no need for your hand to ever touch the rod, grip the top of the reel frame to guide the line. If you have a large fish on(over #300) I would agree with pulling your butt out of the chair while reeling forward, then letting gravity pull you and the rod back to the chair. If it is a smaller fish, it is much more dificult to use this technique because the fish is generally not strong enough to pull you out of the chair(unless it is a tuna, or an exceptionally fiesty marlin). In this case, simply sliding back in the chair with the bucket will work well. There is absolutely no need to use your arms for leverage, they are only there to turn the handle and guide the line. Your legs should do all the work.

Ernest- You have the best avatar I have ever seen!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks whether or not to bring your rump off the chair was the grey area I needed cleared up. Well all I need now is a dozen or so big marlin to practice. Seems like it would be hard to get any leverage when the handle does get hard to turn with your hand just resting on the reel guiding line. Thanks again. Ashton.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Keep in mind that if you're sitting in the chair and the decky HANDS YOU THE ROD,
and the fish on the other end turns out to be some kind of record, it will be DQ'd.
IGFA states that only the angler can touch the rod.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ernest is correct, if you try to use your arms put pressure on the fish you're going to wear yourself out pretty quick in most cases. Svadja is also right, you should if possible be the only one to handle the rod. Keeping the drag light at first makes the rod easier to handle between the rodholder and the chair. If your serious about wanting to do all of this yourself you need to stay in the cockpit and be paying attention. A smaller fish is perfectly capable of lifting your butt out of the chair during the fight, it all depends on how much drag you have on the fish. One other thing to remember is make sure the safety line remains attached to the rod, its also not a bad idea to have a shorter safety line attached to the bucket(the cushion you're sitting in thats attaching you to the rod). Other than that check out some videos Cockpit Chaos is a good one, it shows why its a good reason to have your arse attached to the boat too. Catch a few and devlop a technique you like.
T.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Good idea to adjust the chair and bucket for the angler that is up next. If all your anglers that day are about the same size it's not to big a deal. If you have a mix of sizes/men and women. Last thing you want to do is hop in with 24lbs of drag pulling and find the foot rest to close or far away.
There is another reason to keep your left hand on top of the reel besides guiding the line. This way when you pop off a big one with a lot of drag you can stop the rod before a guide cuts your forehead open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts