2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a field/utility box that I used to use for hunting (storing shells, duck calls, etc) It's been in the attic for a couple of years and it looks like the heat has destroyed the water proof seal around the lid. the seal looks like it was made of really thin foam. Does anybody have any ideas what to use for a good replacement material? Do they sell thin sheets of foam (really thin) that I could cut out my own replacemnt? Any help is appreciated?
RJ

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
look around your local home supply store or fly shop (they should have some thin fly body foam thats un cut but it is pricey!)...JJ

·
11,765 Posts
Weather stripping for doors might work. Available at most hardware stores. Can be bought thick or thin.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,560 Posts
RJ,

Go somewhere that they sell pickup tool boxes. They should have the seal strips with the adhesive backing for sale there. I replaced the ones on my box not long ago and bought it at TSC. Comes in a roll.

TH

·
Charter Member
5,923 Posts
Go to Academy or WalMart and get another box. They are pretty cheap these days.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
A thin coating of Silicone will work fine. Clean the surface area, apply a thin coat of the silicone in place of the seal. Allow to semi dry. Apply a coating of Vaseline to the boxes edges and close the lid tight. The vaseline won't allow the silicone to stick to the edges. After an hour or so, open the box, wipe off the vaseline and you'll have a waterproof box.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
3m Marine 5200. just make sure that the lid doesn't close while its drying or you'll never get it back open.

·
MOD V Slave
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas..i'll try a couple of them..and if all else fails...like MT said...i'll just get another one...no biggie.

RJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts