2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been ten yrs since i've had a fish mounted, so i'm not familiar with the advancements in taxidermy. Do fiberglass replicas look the same nowadays as skin mounts? And what if the trophy that you want to mount has beautiful skin color. If a person did want to go the fiberglass route what kinds of pictures and measurements need to be taken? TIA

·
aka Salty Nacho
4,427 Posts
Just from cruising the internet, it looks like the fiberglass replicas are the way to go. They look better to begin with and hold up way better. Even if the quality is the same in the beginning, in 8 or 10 years you'd be regretting getting a skin mount I think. Plus, a lot of taxidermists aren't doing skin mounts any more. Some won't even take your fish, they'll flat out refuse it. For the replicas, just get a couple good pictures, then take length and girth measurements. They'll do the rest.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,429 Posts
Get a skin mount, you want YOUR fish on the wall.... Jack Innman is the man to see...his # is 281-448-2136..... I think he does a fine job.... He did my 30" Trout........

·
Registered
298 Posts
IMHO the replicas look better and last a ton longer. Fish have oil in their skin and no matter how good a job the taxidermist does the fish will turn brown in a couple of years. The fiberglass will look as good ten years from now as it does today if you will keep it clean

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Won't that fish ever die!!LOL Actually that's how my wife can remember you from theTOBA event, "That guy with the big fish mount".
Rick

·
6,429 Posts
rlw said:
Won't that fish ever die!!LOL Actually that's how my wife can remember you from theTOBA event, "That guy with the big fish mount".
Rick
Nope, that fish will never die.....LMAO

Attachments

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I don't think BH did either with his fish!

we had a laugh at POC and wondered out loud how long it would take BH to post a pic of it again. Not too long, apparently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Regardless of the color of the fish when caught, it will have to be airbrushed if a skin mount is done. Might as well go fiberglass replica IMO. Lasts forever and looks great. I (skeptically) did one a few years ago and am very happy with my decision! I was also able to release the fish (sailfish) and that had a big part of my decision. From a mount perspective I am happy with what I got. Definitely glad I let the the big gal go...VB :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Picture of Fiberglass mount?

Seems like every time this topic comes up on here - lots of folks say fiberglass is the way to go - Can someone post a picture of a speckled trout fiberglass mount?

Having caught what I consider to be a trophy trout earlier this year I did a good bit of research and my findings did not match the popular opinion found here. What I found was that most taxidermists will do fiberglass trout - but the vast majority of what they do is skin mounts for bay fish (trout, reds, flounder). Only tarpon, billfish, and other offshore fish were mostly fiberglass. I did not find a single fiberglass trout that I thought looked even half way decent - they all looked like plastic fish to me. Whereas the skin mounts varied from pathetic to really really good.

Also -- prices for trout mounts in Houston are WAY higher than you can get in other areas. Some Corpus area taxidermists are similar to Houston prices but some are less and the quality is about the same IMO. I found high quality and MUCH lower prices in Louisiana taxidermists and in many cases faster promised turnaround.

I know BH got his fish VERY quickly and I don't want to "dis" his prize - but unless that fish had only one eye when it was hooked in Baffin Bay I'm not so sure I'd call it top notch quality.

IMO the best mounts have skin texture that looks natural and all the colors (mouth, skin, gills, etc.) appear natural --- this is where the real artistic talent is (again IMHO). I'm having two trout mounted by a LA taxidermist and he told me it would be about 8 months. It's been about 6 and I called recently to check in - he is running a little behind but anticipates that he'll get both of them done by hunting season (~November = 9 months). A former coworker waited 2.5 years to get his fish from a big name Corpus area taxidermist - so 9 months seems pretty good to me. Most Houston area taxidermists said typically 3-6 months, possibly longer. The price I paid was about half of what BH said he paid for his. If mine look as good as the "models" the taxidermist had I'll be very happy and will post my pictures when I get the fish - if they don't I'll eat my words.

·
The Duck of Death
2,247 Posts
I have a Fiberglass trout at home that I had done 3 years ago by Bass Taxidermy in Texas City . I can take a picture tonight and post tomorrow. I think it looks very realistic and it does have scale detail . Sunray does have a point about the range of skin mounts The good one's are really good but the bad one's are really bad.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
I just can't see how they can justify charging more for a fiberglass mount, it would seem
that a skin mount would be a helluva lot more work! Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks!

MEGABITE

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,165 Posts
Because anyone can have a fiberglass mount made so if they want to fake their catch then they must pay. LOL

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm a big fan of the fiberglass mounts. Just like with a skin mount, you need to do your homework & find a good taxiderminst. If you do that, you have a good lookin mount that lasts forever without fading, &, the most important part IMO, the fish can be released. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
551 Posts
skin vs. fiberglass

Skin looks far more realistic. There is no comparison. I've had my 30"er for almost 10 years in my office and there is no apparent deterioration as of yet. If your trout started turning brown in two years then it may be time to consider leaving Deer Park.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
As far as differences the replica's lack a little detail over a skin mount but it's really pretty minor with the standard of today's replica's. REplica's also last much longer and have virtually no problems when finished. Main thing is to find someone with the artistic talent to repaint the fish to look natural. Looks at mounts before you hire a taxidermist to see what you'll be getting. I feel Randy Turner at BAss Taxidermy in T.C. is one of the best in the business. He's coveted numerous state and national awards on his reproduction work. Basic measurements include length and girth. Mostly length but just take several pictures so the artist can re-create any significant traits of your fish.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
Ohhh!

InfamousJ said:
Because anyone can have a fiberglass mount made so if they want to fake their catch then they must pay. LOL
AHHHHH! OK! NOW I understand! LMAO :rotfl:

MB

·
6,429 Posts
I know BH got his fish VERY quickly and I don't want to "dis" his prize - but unless that fish had only one eye when it was hooked in Baffin Bay I'm not so sure I'd call it top notch quality.
When I set the hook, both eyes popped out....LMAO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts