2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remoing my seat in the boat and replacing it with a Leaning Post and will have to repair the holes that are in the deck. My first thought was to fill the holes with a fiberglass epoxy but not sure if that will seal them off good or not.

Anyone have experience with that?

The boat is a 2001 Keener..

FN

·
Registered
26,147 Posts
I thought you were gonna have that done?

My guess would be to fill the holes with 5200 - but then what do I know?

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was but

If I can do it myself I will, I'm a little cheap sometimes....

FN

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Drill the holes oversized to get to fresh material. If you have access to the backside, cover the backside of the hole with duct tape and fill with good epoxy mixed with a heavy filler. If you just need a bit of heavy filler, swing by my house sometime and I will hook you up.

If no backside access, coat the sides of the hole with epoxy, and after it gets tacky, install some hardwood dowels that have been soaked with epoxy (for big holes). Cut them so they are a little short of the top of the hole. Before that fully cures, level it off with some unthickend epoxy. The unthinkened epoxy will also tend to fill any little voids in the dowel/hole interface. After everything is cured, sand level and hit it with some one part poly paint or some touch up gelcoat. Go for holes up to the size of about 1.5 inches.

If the holes are smaller, just coat the sides of the holes with unthickened epoxy, let it tack up, and then pour/inject some thickened expoy down the holes. After that gets tacky, fill the hole with unthickened epoxy. Once the first batch is poured down the hole, it plugs it so that the unthickened does not run out the bottom. Finish with paint or gelcoat.

Go to the vet supply/horse supply and buy some hypo's of various sized. Makes mixing small batches of epoxy a breeze.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,342 Posts
If the the holes are small just buy some two part epoxy at Home Depot and fill them up. I wouldn't try to overthink this thing. :wink:

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holes are probably on 3/8 in dia I imagine.

I also think it is foam filled underneath so I doubt I would have to worry with the dowell thing.

Earnest where do you live at?

FN

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
About four miles from you if you are still in Winchester Cntry- Lakewood Forest - Grant Rd./Louetta.

If you have foam tight under the deck, the first hit of epoxy will run a bit into the foam but otherwise will plug bottom of the hole. One can even stuff foam down the hole to provide a frame, as it were, to support the epoxy.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Will fix it Matt

I have the materials and skill.... No charge

Here is a pic of a cracked hull I fixed last month, my bosses boat... It will never crack again...LOL

Attachments

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ernest,

As luck would have it one of our own has done Fiberglass work and told me he has all the tools and will help. So I think I will leave it to the pros and take him up on it.

Thanks Bad Habit!!

Thanks for the Suggestions.

We need to have a Northside Happy Hour one night on 249. LOL

FN

·
Registered
467 Posts
Fishnut - I would love to change out the ice-chest seat on my Kenner for a leaner, what did it cost you and where did you get your lean post? Thanks.

·
6,428 Posts
C Cracker

Here is a few pics of Wendy's rig, works great with storage, and you can install a bunch of rod holders, it will handle up to a 90gt chest under it.....Takes up a little space, but we also sit on top of it while fishin out the back of the boat....

Attachments

·
Old yellow member
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CC- I actually found it on the Classifieds Board here

Been thinking aboutit for a long time, it's an aluminum one not a fiberglass like Wendy's that I am putting in.

Just keep an eye out or you can buy a new one but I didn't want to drop 500 or so dollars.

FN

Attachments

·
6,428 Posts
Very nice Matt... Wendy's came with her boat, so we make it work...LOL

·
Registered
467 Posts
Both would work for me. Think I'll put a WTB add on the classified see what I can find. I was also thinking of having a custom one built to raise the icechest seat a foot or so. Lots of welders around here who moonlight.

·
Registered
403 Posts
how did you get the boat off the trailor and on it's side and the back??

i've got a crack in the about the same place, any other suggestions for fixing it that don't require laying it on its side. i know i need to hang it in the air somehow to get the trailor out of the way just not sure how to do it

Justin

·
6,428 Posts
Carp said:
how did you get the boat off the trailor and on it's side and the back??

i've got a crack in the about the same place, any other suggestions for fixing it that don't require laying it on its side. i know i need to hang it in the air somehow to get the trailor out of the way just not sure how to do it

Justin
My 4wheeler has a 3000# winch on front of it... I just drug it off the trailer, and Miss Dixie, Rosie, and myself put it on it's side... Peice O cake.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts